Am I unlucky or what.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Oct 25, 2008.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Scandisk on a CD-ROM drive ? :blink Install Unduntu ! Whats the matter afraid you might like it ? :biggrin

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

no I meant the hard drive, anytime I have heard bad block was to do with hard drives, although I realise it said CD-Rom but how do i get rid?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You can get bad blocks on any formatted medium, trouble is in this case it could be one of many things, a scratched CD-ROM disk, a CD-ROM disc that was burnt incorrectly, a CD-ROM that can't be read because there is a dodgy DRM product interfering with the process of reading the drive. It could be because the drive is faulty and not reading reliably because of poor calibration, scratches on the laser lens etc.

The CD-ROM is by definition generally a read only medium, you can't fix bad blocks, bad blocks are fixed by altering the low level disk metadata and marking the blocks as bad, you can't alter the metadata on a read only disk.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It *may* have the same issue. Could be some software on the host PC that is causing the issue and the VM *may* not be affected by it.

GBL. Do you have another partition you could install XP on from scratch? This will give you a clean O\S and new driver install to work with. Same hardware though. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Thats a very good idea. :D

Alternatively install this, same idea really, fresh install of an OS without any DRM crap, if you can burn it to a CD that is ...
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

6. greenbrucelee

no its just the one partition, i have been thinking about wiping it and doing a fresh install but my motherboard drivers are on a dvd disk and if it doesn't work my system will be caput until I get a new drive

7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You can always make another partition... Ubuntu does this for you on install automatically... alternatively use diskpart and install another XP, not sure what the windows boot manager might do though, they tend to be a bit funny...

8. Sparky

Can you just use the HD from your other PC?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. greenbrucelee

The other hard disk is one partition and I am supposed to be giving it to my nephew. The dvd drive from the other comp is IDE and to be honest I haven't got the room for ribbon cables n stuff and its the wrong colour for my case.

10. Sparky

Might be worth trying the HD as a test? You can always format it again before you give the PC to your nephew.

11. greenbrucelee

do you mean set that up as the main drive and install xp etc on it?

12. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

What he said, prat. :x

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  13. Sparky

Yeah, just take the HD out your main PC, put in the other one and format and install from scratch.

Just put on the drivers you need and test the drive. Once you are finished swap the HDs around and you are then back up and running. 8)

14. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Some people seem to think XP multiboots fine with itself on the same drive, never tried it myself.

15. greenbrucelee

I have just tried a sfc /scannow and it got to a point then said the windows professional cd is wrong files that need be copied to the dll cache can not be continued please insert the correct disk. Possible reasons are knackered disk or cd drive

16. Sparky

What dlls are they?

17. greenbrucelee

it said .dll cache whatever that is :blink It didn't say what the files were

18. greenbrucelee

Have just ran chkdsk on the hdd and it didn't find any hdd errors. I am getting more incline to think there is something corrupted in Windows, I have gone back to the earliest restore point I could but I think it wouldn't matter how far I went back.

I am tempted just to wipe it now, I can't wipe the other pcs hard drive until I get an extra hd to put some the content on or I could wait until I get a new DVD drive on Thursday install that then format and reinstall.

19. Sparky

Have you tried a repair install of Windows?

Worth a shot..

20. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The dllcache is a 'hidden' directory in the system32 folder. It contains supposedly good copies of important files. There is a process that runs and checks if the working files are corrupt or not. If it thinks they are corrupt then it uses the copy in the cache to restore it.

Note that if the version of the Service Pack applied doesn't match that of the CD then things can get into a tangle. I always make sure that I have a slipstreamed copy of my XP CD to avoid this.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+