Am I unlucky or what.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I know you have tried the drive in another PC but have you considered installing a virtual PC and trying the drive in that? You can test with a clean build of Windows. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Teebor

Teebor Nibble Poster

Yeah good point, forgot you tried it on another machine.

Have you checked if there is an bios/flash upgrade for the drive?
    I'm assuming its a CD/DVD Writer and most can be updated in this way

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA, CCNA, Coupla MCP's
    WIP: CCNP BCMSN, CVOICE, ITIL
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It's just not reading any dvds, it will spin up but then stop after a while. If I open my computer it sees the drive but not the disc.

I'll try that now as it will take a while.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hiya GBL

Ok, first thought was as per my other post when you had probs with the first drive.

However, same problem with replacement drive would tend to suggest :

a) they have a faulty batch

b) there is soemthing up with your setup (tho' not sure what)

I wouldn't flash the drive's firmware unless the supplier advises it - they might refuse to take it back if you have (yes, I know it's supposed to be ok but suplliers can get funny over stuff like that).

Personally, over the years, I've had mixed views with Samsung so wouldn't really like to comment either way.

Can you not just borrow a drive from a m8 or from work just to try in your system ?

As to alternative makes - too many and too many people will have opinions on what has worked for them.

My own fav is always ASUS - no probs with them over the last 5 years and never had to send one back (remember I was supplying 200-300 systems a year).

Hope you get it sorted (and yes, ignore the unhelpful critical posts ! Jeez, people are so rude these days on the 'net)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This would have been my clue, except you said you tried the drive out on another PC (presumably without Crysis wars installed on it). Nothing I can add to the suggestions that have already been made, except to try the drive with a different software besides Nero (just in case it's a software issue and not a bad piece of hardware).

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Bar trying another IDE/SATA connection on your mobo, I'd just go with another brand, as already suggested. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

A lot of DRM software hooks itself into the driver stack by writing a filter driver for the CD drive, so its not so unlikely that a poorly written piece of DRM software could break a CD driver especially if it was designed to look for a non standard disc format. This sort of thing also used to happen a lot in the old days of floppy discs.

I'd refuse to buy and install anything with DRM myself, uninstall the game and take it back.
    http://custompc.co.uk/blogs/cyberspice1/2008/09/02/the-trouble-with-securom/
    http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/spore-technical-support/338912-dvd-not-reading.html
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=203200

I'd do whatever it takes to get SecuRom off your machine.

I also agree with the reccomendations to switch brand and try another product if uninstalling SecuRom does not work, it could also be a bad batch of drives. Since you say it was working at one point ? It sounds like the drives broken after a period of working, so could be hardware or software, depending if you installed the DRM during this time ?

8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i've told you once already, blu ray discs wont work :p

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  9. greenbrucelee

I tried to install xp on vpc, i ended up getting the error message:setup can't continue because of a device I/O error.

I take it that setup is seeing the drive is knackered.

10. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Doesn't mean anything if you are using virtualisation, you will still be using the same driver stack from windows all the time windows is loaded.

11. Sparky

Did it boot from the CD ok though? I take it that is a Windows error message you have posted?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  12. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Does the DVD drive work in linux ? :biggrin If yes, uninstall windows, problem sovled ! :biggrin

13. greenbrucelee

thats the message I got once Windows setup started, but yes it did copy the files over and boot ok until it got to 39 minutes left.

14. Sparky

Is anything trying to access the CD on the host PC? Also do you have enough HD space for the VM, that can throw some weird error messages sometimes.

15. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If the VM is running on windows then there is already a loaded driver stack in windows, virtual PC will be using this driver stack to read the CD/DVD ROM. The VM stuff is a red herring if you have windows driver problems unless you are running VM thats not on windows, since I expect you mean VirtualPC by 'VPC' this will not be the case. Its a pointless test.

16. greenbrucelee

What would happen if I delete the drive, reboot then restart virtual pc and install xp? would that help?

17. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Why do you think it would help ?

18. Sparky

Pointless task? Eh? :tongue

It might not be a driver issue, it may be something on host PC that is causing an issue here. Hence why I suggest a VM as a test. 8)

19. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The VM is 'Virtual' thats the whole point, it will use the real CD-ROM drive and drivers from the host OS, it should therefore have exactly the same issue. It may break even worse if the DRM is the issue. You could of course use the boot from image option but then you'd not have an issue because you are not using the drive or the drivers.

At least thats my understanding and opinion, but I didn't write VirtualPC so go ahead see what happens...

Personally I'd just install ubuntu and see if it works in that, then you know its not hardware or firmware and definitely a driver issue.

20. greenbrucelee

Just scouting through some logs, when installing xp on vpc event manager is saying The Device/Device,/CD-ROM, has a bad block

Should I do scandisk?