Am i underpaid

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Davidh1819, Mar 28, 2010.

1. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

£9/day - monthly travelcard for zones 1 - 5 costs £169 so that is appx £5.6/day. :biggrin
    Without joking, this cost of travelcard is horrifying!
    Though it is not all black and white - some people find place to live more close to work. Of course it is impossible if you work in zone 1 and get small wage but there are people working in all parts of London where flats are cheaper and they are not traveling through the whole city. It is all relative.
    On the other hand, if I look in what state pavements in the streets are and how dirty London gets as you are getting further away from centre it is really not worth all hard work and the money given for accomodation near filthy streets and hybrid-looking people walking in the street. Your enviroment causes stress every day... I guess it is all how lucky one gets and picks the nicer area.
    Sorry, it is off topic!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Heh, trust me, the ONLY perk to living in zone 1 was the ability to walk to work - and sometimes even THAT wasn't exactly nice.

My sister used to live in Shoreditch (so possibly enough said) but it's a trendy area for City workers. Anywho, the flat she had cost nigh on half a million. You could barely swing a cat in it, it was that stereotypically small. Sure, when I worked in London I could stop at her place and walk to my work off Liverpool Street within ten minutes. Fantastic. And her flat was nice enough. But across the street was a beaten old council high rise with music and fights going on til Christ-knows-what o clock. The Commercial Road had sirens blazing up and down it all night long, the main line going in to Liverpool Street was right behind the flat, and to top it all, it was on the edge of a red light district. I'm not even going to TELL you some of the crap I saw walking home from work.

Give me a one hour commute compared to that, any day of the week.

No seriously, when it comes down to it, companies treat their wages like we treat our own personal expenditure. They won't pay what they think someone is worth; they will pay someone what they accept their own personal worth to be - in other words, the lowest possible figure they can get out of the wage negotiation process. The person that sits down at the negotiation table at interview to hash out your pay on your behalf is you, and you alone. If you don't like the renumeration and think that the environment isn't going to be to your taste, then don't take the job. If situations change within your working role, and you think you are worth more and confident of your abilities, then do some market research and, if the research comes in your favour, talk to your boss. If you don't get the rise you were after, then start applying for the jobs you saw, where you think you'll be paid your worth.

It's not iSimples, but it is common sense at the end of the day. If you think you're getting the burn end of a deal because you've popped on to CW Jobs and think a wet-behind-the-ears just out of school kid is getting £2K a year more then you for doing Helldesk work, then look at the bigger picture - the "other" benefits you get in your current role, as well as the lack of potential benefits and progression in the one you'd jump ship to. Would you really take just under £100 per month extra (after tax) for going somewhere to tell people to turn it off and on again, or read a script and then pass up the line to peeps getting the experience you would have been getting elsewhere? All hypothetical, and maybe slightly hyperbolic... but hey, I've finished rambling now, and I think I made a point in there somewhere :biggrin

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA