Am I right thinking like this?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jammed24, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jammed24

jammed24 Bit Poster

Wished somebody could give me some advice. I past the A+ for about 8 months now. Without any success securing a job in IT I am sort of lost now. I have had many interviews ranging from helpdesk and 1st line support but non of them are willing to offer a job because I lack of experience, I do work in a call centre with lots of customer service skills but I try to convince them that I spend lots of my free time tweaking and self studying the IT cert but most employer want commercial type of experience.

I recently stopped reading the MM N+ because I don't know if I will ever get a job, I understand it can take indefinite time before the first job will come but at my age I don't know if I can wait any longer.

I recently want to get back to study but want to change from technical side of IT to programming side. I want to do a HND in computing because its got some programming.

My question is, if any of you have had done a HND course before? Is it worth to spend that sort of money? I know it might not gurantee anything but I am really lost now. I don't want to do that with a training provider because it can cost alot more than the HND.

During my college days I learnt HTML, C+ and VB but I know things have moved much faster to other programming language.

Is it very difficult to get into a programming job? Most junior level or entry prgramming are asking for a degree, will it be worth doinga degree instead?

Past month felt so stress with myself I really appreciate if somebody could offer some advice.

regards

J24

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Have you been asking for more feedback from the interviews other than needing commercial experience. Every time you get to the interview stage thats because they think you can do the job and want to meet you and see if you will fit into their team and way of working. So if you've been getting plenty of interviews its certainly not a bad thing as they wouldnt waste their time on someone who they knew from the CV couldnt do the job on offer. Also the experience gained by you will stand you in better stead for the next one. I know its disheartening sometimes but keep plugging away at it and you will get in. IT is a really tricky line to get into but once your in it does get easier to move about.

1st line jobs typically require no previous experierence and soft skills that you get working in a call center is generally a good thing.
    I would be asking alot more questions about why I didnt get through the interview as I find it a little difficult to believe 1st line jobs want you to have previous experience.

Also it might be worth looking through your local paper for IT jobs, they are normally few and far between but the extra effort employers see when you apply in this manner also puts you in a good position.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

unfortunately no qualification can get you a job, I have a few qualifications but have not yet secured an IT job and I have sent out quite a lot of applications but only had a few interviews.

I am currently saving up so when I have adequate funds I will be applying like mad to places outside of my area (not many technical jobs where i live)so if I am lucky enough to secure a job I will be able to move.

Just keep trying is my advice.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

If you want to get into programming because you enjoy programming – good luck and I hope you succeed.

In regards to your recent interview attempts, it can be discouraging (especially at first), but if you really want it – don’t give up. Some people have taken years to get their first break. Maybe you have to open up to other industries, or look beyond the footprint you’re in now.

Most importantly, ask for feedback after you find out you didn’t get the spot. Even the places that have already gone with a different candidate – ask the interviewer for feedback. What did they like / not like; how could you have improved your chances for that particular role; what were they looking for…

Best of luck in your future attempts…

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Sunn is correct, you should aim to do what you enjoy, programming is not an easy path either.

Try and improve your job hunt, if somethings not working change it, think outside the box, try different things, get feedback and try and improve.

No qualification will guarantee a job, the more qualifications you have the better, a degree is preferable to a HND if you can get one, landing your first job even with a degree can be tough.

The government used to fund the first 3 years of higher education, not sure what the rules are now but a Degree or HND could be part funded. I think most courses cost 2-3k per term of fulltime study but normally due to part funding you only pay 'top-up' fees of 3-4k per year. The main problem is the lost income and experience, if you can do a course part time and work at the same time, (or vice versa) you can get qualifications, experience and get paid while you do it.

Best of luck ! :D