Am i on the right track (Server setup diagram)

Discussion in 'Software' started by zr79, Aug 24, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

So i am trying to emulate a medium size business network setup.

I have everything on a BUS topology, i haven't added firewalls etc just the basic idea just now, i am using 1 x DC (2003), the rest are member servers (2003) each member server is running a particular application, mail, web, management etc and i have 1 x Systems admin PC (XP Pro) running remote desktop.

I haven't added the actual workstations but that isn't a big deal here and all are running on static IP's.

Some questions,

1) Should i run it on a BUS topology.
    2) I take it the member servers are just added to the domain like a workstation is even though they are running server 2003, do i even really need 2003.
    3) How far off the mark am I any tips here?

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well, I would say that it's more like a star or tree (multiple star) topology that home to SME to Enterprises use and not a bus topology.

Yes, member servers are added to the domain just like XP. Do you really need 2003 member servers? It's up to you and what you're aiming for.

Is the webserver an internal webserver or will be be accessible from outside the internal LAN? Is it is suppose to be accessible outside then you should place the webserver in the DMZ. If you really want to be flashy, you could install ISA and take it from there :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Yes, member server is just a term used to describe a "server" operating system (such as Windows 2000, NT4, or 2008, take your pick) which is part of a domain but does not run domain services.

I gather this is currently just a schema and not an actual implementation? If so, the mail servers for example would be considered member servers.

And as wagnerk said, make it flashier, make it more complicated, you'll eventually thank yourself ;)
    I would add another server in there acting as a router, connects a second subnet with its own DC, mail server and more. From there, you can start building a site diagram and with this comes all the fun stuff like replication.

But take it easy, baby steps as they say. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

I want both Intranet and external webserver with a VPN options for both.

Absolutely, i want to make it as complex as possible and then virtualize it.

I want vlans, subnets, internal and external VPNs, mulitple domains, child domains, Intranet, various topolgies, load balancing, QOS, backup routers / servers, security and loads more, fancy giving me a hand, and yes this is just my own practice schema.

5. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

The only thing I would add would be try and get a second DC in there if possible, for redundancy purposes. Possibly the file server. Then, in the event of one failing, the users can keep on working whilst you fix the issue.

As for whether you need Server 2003 for the member servers, it depends on your requirements, but be aware of any limitations if you decide to use a desktop OS, IE max. no. of concurrent connections.

Just out of interest, why have you chosen Apache for your web server? IIS can be installed at no extra cost on Windows Server. Although this can be very much personal preference.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  6. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Personal pref, been using apache for years.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

To make it “real world” you may want to list your DHCP server, Profile server (if there is one) and print server.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs