Am I being unfair?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jellyman_4eva, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi all,

At my current company a new starter has arrived with the same title and job role etc as me. He mentioned in passing his salary which was fractionally higher than my current one.

He was also informed by my boss that upon completion of a set of exams (funded by the company) that he would be given a fairly extensive additional raise.

The thing that narks me about this is he only has 1 years more experience in IT but his job roles have been pretty similar to mine. As well as this I already self studied and achieved the exams he is going to do before I even got my job at my current employer.

Now I was happy with my salary before. So it is really salary envy I guess, but I just feel like it is really unfair. I am not sure what to do about the situation really. Any ideas?

I should point out his predecessor was taken on 1 month before me and had the same skill set and experience as me and was put on the same wage as me, which we both thought was fair!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you have any official wage reviews lined up with your boss?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Jellyman_4eva

Hi,

No I dont, my next one is June 2009!!!

The problem is if I kick up a fuss, I could destroy the "relationship" I have with my employers?

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I'm in much the same situ now. We have a guy starting in 2 weeks, who will be on the same wage as me. Now i've been with the company for 2 years, my job role covers more than this guys will (support, repairs, configuration and more for me, just support for him) so is this fair? I don't thinks so. However you have to take into consideration teh rise in wages over the last 2 years, so what i got as a starting wage then would have increaed to what this guys going to get now. However i'm still unhappy about it, as i see it taht i have more responsibilities than this guy will have and more experience so i should be on more.

Now i have a pay review due soon, or at least an appraisal. so i will be mentioning it then to my boss. Just state taht i'm unhappy with my current wage and taht i feel its below average for teh work i do, and hint that i'd liek more. I cant afford to keep doing this job on teh wage i have due to other things so i do need an increase (i didnt get teh first pay rise i expected and teh last one was neglible any way) and my traveling costs have increased a lot in taht time. But thats about all i can do, can't threaten to quit, afterall i need a job and they know that. And thats the same situation your in. You feel like you should get more than teh new guy, but where do you stand? You can't or won't quit over it so all you can do is ask. A good company might listen, but most will just say tough, you'll have to wait and see what happens in the next round of pay rises.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

No I wouldn't say your being unfair!8)

I would ask if your employer is aware that you have done self study to further yourself in IT?

Also as spark has stated what about wage reviews or salary increments. Also I would have a word with HR and find out if your salary can or should be reviewed! Some employess are fixed on a banding whereby you have 4 or 5 increments until you reach the top of your band and can't go any further unless you get promoted or leave:biggrin

The other thing to take into account is that person might of been bragging or just got it wrong!8)

I would check with your line manager, maybe even point out to them that this new starter is bragging he gets paid more than anyone else who has worked here longer and it's effecting team morale!

That always goes down well with HR and Management!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. Jellyman_4eva

Hi,

At the end of the day, the guy does not know what I am on so I see no reason for him to be bragging about anything (Because of course I might be on more!!)... Therefore I have to believe what he says (I cant really march to HR and demand how much he is earning or his terms and conditions!).

Also he seems like a nice guy, and its not his fault that I feel like this, so I am kind of hesitant to do anything against him. At the end of the day he is just a guy who has been offered something and took it. Its really my managers that the "fight" is with I guess.

The problem is I am not sure whether to just shut up and put up, or make some kind of comment which of course might put me into "troublesome character" status with the management....

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hi

You say your next pay review is June next year - does that mean you've just had a review ?

If so, maybe you could ask to discuss your understanding of points raised about your career progression/salary ?

Alternatively, if no recent review, ask for a chat about your career structure which would allow you to point out your self study. You could then ask for any assistance with that and bring the conversation around to how that would affect your pay and how that would compare you with colleagues.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick! I did not mean him i mean't if you are concern at the salary you are getting it is within your right to go it into HR and ask for a review. They can tell you what type of agreement you are on if it is reviewable or not!

As for the rest, well it almost seems like you are defending him?? Which brings me to the next question why did you raise the question in the first place?:blink

You still didn't answer my question? Which was is your line manager aware you have done self study?

If not? why not? If they are putting this new employee on a training course maybe it's because no one else in your work/dept as expressed to the management they would be keen on doing these courses and bettering themselves in IT?8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  9. Jellyman_4eva

Yeah, I have just had a review a few months back, and in line with the rest of the department got a negligible (Few hundred quid a year) raise.

I am not defending him, I perhaps misunderstood your message and took it to mean that it was somehow the new guys fault, but it clearly isnt, my mistake.

My line manager was and is aware of my self study but thats about it. As in there is no mention of it, he just knows I have qualifications which I earnt myself.

Your final point is interesting because others have expressed interest in doing courses but have been put off by management because they cannot afford to lose employees for the time required (e.g. 5 day course) etc, but this all seems to be changing for this new guy, to bring him up to standard quickly?

10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I think everyone deserves to be paid fairly, but also you hve to take into account they might have had to offer more to "tempt" this guy to join.

Your best bet is to keep an eye on the local jobscene, and see what others are paying for similar roles, also keep a list of job responsibilities, and also ones you have taken on extra, use these facts in negotiation.

To be honest though at work you should keep your salary to yourself, as you can see these are the problems it creates, so whether you mention this in the review, I personally would, but that could lead the other new guy into trouble.

But to be honest you need to look after number 1.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Money always seems to be bring division and envy hence when at work I don't ask my colleagues how much they are on or vice versa. Frankly, it's no ones business but yours and should be kept confidential.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

does this guy know the employer personally that could be the reason, but know you are not be unfair.

It has happened to me and I saw my boss about it. I am in the fortunate position of being needed in my job, When a new guy started he was on the same wage as me but when there was a guy above me he was on more so I complained and said if you want to me to put the effort into my job I always do then you will give me a raise or I'll just turn into an average worker. Needless to say I got the rise :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It’s a difficult one, the guy that was above me at work was on £10k more but I was actually doing more technical projects than him! My boss even told me that.

Even after he left I’m still not on what he was earning (only about £4k in it now) but I just get on with the job.

Although wages should be confidential when they become public knowledge in a company people can get pi55ed off very quickly!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, you surely could. Plus, you could get your co-worker into hot water... most companies will ask that you keep salary information confidential *specifically* to avoid situations like this.

I could see where you'd be upset if he had less experience than you... but he has more than you. Ask yourself this: are you paid fairly? Were you upset with your salary only after he revealed his salary, but not before? If you answered yes, then be content... and outwork your co-worker, if you must. Show your employers through your actions that you're worth more than he.

If you're not being paid fairly, and if you were upset with your salary even before he came on the scene, then by all means, bring up the subject. Just be prepared for what happens should they say "no": you'll be even more unhappy, and they'll know they've got a potentially disgruntled employee.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It's salary envy, unfortunately.

If you don't ask you don't get, but if you've only just been reviewed and your next review isn't scheduled until 2009, I would question how much you would (potentially) rock the boat with your employer.

At the end (or the beginning, really) of the day, you agreed to do the job you do, at the salary you currently earn. That was what you negotiated, and that was what you were happy with. The only reason it has come into question (as someone else has rightly mentioned) is that you found out the wage of this other guy. In essence, all he has done is broker a better deal. If you were truly unhappy with your wage, I should imagine you would have brought it up at your latest review?

At the end of the day, if you've been with the company for a while, then 'movement from within' will always be cheaper than hiring from outside. What's the time difference between you starting, and him starting? You've already mentioned that he also has more IT experience... so he just negotiated better at the wage table.

If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure most of the guys at my place are paid more than me - but I still go by the same rote. I negotiated the wage I've got, and I feel it's fair for the job I do. If I progress to Second Line, then I would expect a raise, but right now, for what I do, it's what I agreed when I signed my employment contract, and when I had a recent review. Sod what the others are on. That's what they've agreed.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA