Am a Freshie!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by curious cathy, Jul 14, 2009.

1. curious cathy

curious cathy New Member

Hopefully a lovely, cheerful and productive day to you all,

I am graduate of hospitality and business studies and still not happy with the fruits of thy labour!

I am 24, expecting, a British citizen and wanting to learn more, especially within the IT Field of Networking.

I have done extensive research and believe the best way to start is; It fundamentals, A+ and MCDST.

The best price i have discovered is £800 for six months and 1600 for twelve months, all exams included.

I would love to know if:
    1. You can complete these 2 courses and four exams in 6 months when you have no IT experience?
    2. How many hours per a day in a 5 day week you need to set aside, in order to complete everything.
    3. If you can study this very Practical course from home?
    4. Is this all worth it?

If all is well i am hoping to register ASAP and get on with it. I am very apprehensive as i have heard many different stories about price and quality, as well as you need experience before you start the MCDST.

I would also love to find a shadowing or assistant job in IT, as i can get familiarized with the working environment and believe it will help me greatly with the self study.

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I've replied in your other thread, but meh. - Link

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Welcome to Cert Forums

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. curious cathy

curious cathy New Member

But how many hours would you say per a day?

Have you heard anything about computeach's training and which training online would you recommend?

5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I'd always recommend self-study training over course study purely because of the price difference. The way I figure it, it's more fun when you mess with stuff yourself and given that you purchase decent training books you're golden. Do you really have £800 to spare?

As for specific numbers I can't even guess because each person is different. I'd have a look through the separate forum sections (A+, MCDST) to try and gauge it if you're that concerned, but even then it'd be a very rough estimate.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. Yosh1

Yosh1 Bit Poster

1. Having just finished a HNC in computing, which took 2 years and covered absolutely loads of stuff, I dont think I could... but that's just me maybe.
    2. As many as possible.
    3. With Certforums - Yes.
    4. Well it's better than watching Jeremy Kyle for a living, but experience is a massive factor.

Good Luck to you either way, and welcome:biggrin

Certifications: HNC Computing
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No... the best price is to buy yourself a few books and do it on your own. And it's entirely doable.

That's entirely up to the individual.

This might not be the answer you want... but the only correct answer is "as many as it takes". Nobody's going to be able to tell you how long you should realistically take.

Absolutely!!

Certifying? Yes. Paying a training provider? No, I don't think so.

Start looking now - don't wait until you're certified. Certification isn't a magic key to get you in the door - it simply makes you more attractive to employers.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Training may be worthwhile for higher level certifications, but entry level certs like the A+ and MCDST are entirely achievable by self-study. If you can't accomplish them by self-study you need to seriously question why you want to work in this field as 90% of the problems you solve will be looked up on your own, without the answers handed to you by someone else.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  9. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  10. curious cathy

curious cathy New Member

Did you find anything cheaper?
    How did you do it???

11. curious cathy

curious cathy New Member

I would love to know if i should do a A+ and An N+ or an A+ and MCDST.

The service orividewrs say that the employers are looking for people with rather an A+ and MCDST

Since i want to do netwroking isn't that pointless doing an MCDST.

Also i wouldnt know where to start looking for my own material, what books are best, how i would get the course breakdown etc.

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

All three.

Most service providers wouldn't know what employers were looking for if it hit them square in the face.

No, because you won't be doing network administration as an entry-level tech. Like everyone else, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Desktop administration is one step of the IT career ladder.

You don't need a course. Pick up the A+ All-in-One Sixth Edition by Mike Meyers and you've got all you need for the A+. If you want lab exercises, you can grab PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles. And there are some good practice exam providers out there if you want to take a practice test to see if you're ready for the real thing.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!