Agency or Direct? What to do?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by millsie, Feb 21, 2011.

1. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

I'm thinking about going for a job which was introduced to me by an agency and they'd like to put me forward for it, but I have seen on the company website that I can apply direct!

What shall I do, save the company money by going direct, or stick with the agency? Will they do any more for me than I can do for myself? And will the company rather employ someone direct than having to pay an agency?

Your wisdom gents and ladies!

Cheers

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  2. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Apply direct is best way forward definitely. :):)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  3. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Yep direct 100%

Cheaper for the company to employ you if you apply directly.

No agency bull****

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  4. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

u can do both

5. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Eh? How does that work, isnt it some sort of conflict of interests?:rolleyes:

6. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

If the company has entered an agreement with the agency to fill the vacancy for them, and you are taken on directly by the company I’m sure if the agency found out that the initial lead for your employment came from them, than they could have a case to get the fee anyway...

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  7. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Right, where does that leave me then? And would the company tell the agency who filled the position? Have the agency got a right to know?

Tricky one, just got my best interests at heart here! If it puts me in with a better chance going direct, should I care?:p

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why would they list the position on their Web site if they require all applicants to go through an agency?

If you've signed no agreement with the agency, then I would guess that you have no legal responsibility to tell them. That said, there is always the risk that the employer tells the agency. The agency might not be happy with you... IF they found out in the first place.

I guess it depends on who you have a stronger affinity towards - a potential future employer, or an agency that could potentially get you future employment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Most agencies will get really pissy if you apply direct after you were told about the job by them. After all, you wouldn't even know about the job if they hadn't told you. In fact, if they can prove that they informed you about the job, then they have a good legal case with the employer that they should be getting paid anyway.

A good agency will potentially get you many jobs in your career. But an employer will only generally give you one job. Sure there are exceptions (I'm in one of those right now), but still... If its a good agency, then you need to consider that.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually if you have been presented to the company by the Agency and then you apply direct and get offered the position both you and the company are liable to be sued for breach of contract. Why? Because the agency were hired to find someone for that position, the presented you and as such you can't then go and offer yourself as a direct hire because of the fact you had been presented by the agency.

Secondly, if you were subsequently hired by the company then I would have serious questions about 'their' work ethic, you don't run a company by back stabbing the guys you hire to find your candidate, not only do you get yourself a bad name but like I mentioned earlier you also run the risk of being sued for breach of contract (they will have signed a contract with the agency to find a candidate), additionally, would you really want to work with a company that does that to people? what 'could' they do to you in the future if things don't work out?

As far as agency fees are concerned (and I am assuming this is a permy position rather than a contract because you should 'never' go direct to a company, well not unless you can survive months without pay because I have seen agencies take over 6 months to get fees from when I have been contracting) then you don't take a hit, its only the hiring company that pay a fee to the agent.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Good advice, I had pretty much decided to carry on and go with the agency its only fair!:)
    And feel its the right thing to do, I think and hope they will show me in a good light, the woman seems sound and it would make me feel better.

Will keep you all posted on how it goes!:biggrin