age and experience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fastrhino, Oct 21, 2005.

1. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

when does it become more difficult to convince employer you can fit an IT role with minimum experience and fast approaching 40, is age a factor when thinkg of changing career to IT, i am a timed served fabricator working in manufacturing and have done all my working life, i want to change, but have reservations about it because of my age and no previous role in IT, i plan to do a certification course doing A+ and network+ then on to a MSCE.

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Take a look a this thread, you may find that it is of some use to your question.

:biggrin

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

As you can see from the link simon gave you it is never too late.

Use whatever it takes to prove to prospective employers that you can do the job they are asking for!

Best of luck pal. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

thank you, i have had look at the thread, and it would seem that most of the people are under thirty, with some notable exceptions, i am concerned that my age will be a serious handicap for me entering the industry. perhaps this negativity is due to a lack of faith in employers, i am also sceptical of claims made by training providers, and i have had NITLC round for a 3 hr chat this week.

5. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

some places will undoubtably discriminate on the basis of age, but not all. And the govt wishes to bring in anti agism legislation. Generally, the bigger companies shouldn't have a problem with you.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

A lot of employers will look for maturity and experience in other areas.
    I've said this somewhere else, but there's a lot to be said for someone who has been working for 20, doesn't matter as what. You know about working as a team, achieving goals, meeting deadlines and all kind of other disciplines.
    16 year-old whiz-kids can be a nightmare to work with, so don't assume that you're at a disadvantage, 'cos you're not.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Well, I'm 37 and only been in IT (well, it's a call center IF you can even call that the IT field) for about 5 months after 23 years doing heatng and air conditioning. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have stayed where I was. Yes, I'm making a bit more money, but it's not worth (at least, to me) all the headaches that come with it. Not that I'm tying to put a damper of your plans, just be cautious of what you wish for, because you might actually get it, then realize you don't want it.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  8. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

thank you for that positive note, perhaps i have overlooked the fact that i have a lot of skills employers would require dispite my lack of experience. this is a very usefull set of forums, thanks everyone

9. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

don't forget to highlight them on your CV

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If you work for yourself your age will go for you too. Whatever field you are in people would rather an older model!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Did your mobile phone used to ring at 10.00 at night.
    On Christmas eve...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

just as well mine won't ... I'll be incapable of rational thought by then .... :alc

bear in mind that not all IT jobs require being on call

13. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

this is not a problem for us blue coller slobs, then i am used to working fixed hrs, and clocking in and out.

14. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, this sort of depends on the business you're working for, your position, etc.... Working in IT can lead to basically being on-call 24/7, having to respond at 2:00 a.m. in the morning and then working until whatever the emergency was is fixed and working again. That might be a half hour, or it might take 12 hours, or more.

IT is not an 8 hour shift type of job once you reach any level of responsibility. If anyone thinks it is, well, either get used to working "on call" and "until the job is done", or consider another career. This isn't said to discourage, but to enlighten, because when the network or servers go down a business doesn't make money again until they are back up and running fully again. A company's profitability ends up in the hands of IT in many ways, and it's not a responsibility that will be given lightly, nor be expected to be taken lightly by IT personell.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1