after network+

Discussion in 'Network+' started by cjd, Oct 22, 2006.

1. cjd

cjd Bit Poster

hi all,

i'm preparing to take my network+ exam during the early part of november. but at the moment, im at a crossroads. i've spoken to a friend and he told me that he uses his m/soft office skills more than his mcsa!

im thinking of doing prehaps the win xp pro exam and then the MOS prehaps? any ideas? thanks

Certifications: HND, A+, Network+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This depends more on what *you* want to do than anything anyone else has done! :biggrin

What work are you doing at the moment? Where would you like to move to (if you want to move at all that is).

You could do more networking things, or the M$ exams if your work is mostly that.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is your friend a sys admin or a desktop support engineer? The job role will influence which certs you use day to day. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Harry. Don't make decisions strictly on what seems to be popular, what other people are doing or what quals seem to earn the most money.

Sure, you have to take those factors into a certain amount of consideration, but it's very important to do an honest assessment of what you are really good at and what you really like to do (chances are they are the same thing).

If you have basic hardware and networking under your belt, you've got a foundation that can take you more or less anywhere in IT. The direction you go in is up to you.

BTW, don't necessarily limit yourself to either an MCSA or MOS. There are a ton of certs floating around out there and not all of them are Microsoft based. Beyond that, there are skill sets that don't always map to a particular set of certifications.

I never considered learning HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and XML until I took my current job and found that I needed to know those skills. Now I really enjoy putting together webpages and administering a website for my employer. You never know what direction you'll go in unless you give new things a chance.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

To be honest all kinds of skills are used in a work place, from office to servers, etc. But like tripwire said what the other guy does, does not necessarly mean that you will be doing the same. I work as a desktop support/system admin and I do both. I think that if you have the base and once in the work field, you'll know exactly what certs to get.

Anyways good luck buddy.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. cjd

cjd Bit Poster

hi,

thanks guys! the guy i mentioned earlier works in 1st line support with a bit of 2nd line too. i've decided that i will stick with the mcsa cert's then decide from there what i want to do. but yeah you guys are right, it depends on what i want and like to do to. plus what type of job i may get, as this may differ from the other person completely. thanks again.

Certifications: HND, A+, Network+
    WIP: MCDST