Advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ebe, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Ebe

Ebe New Member

can anyone give me the advice of whether to take a professional examination(ECUK) or bachelor degree course for engineering ,what are the pros and cons of these courses.Can these course helpful when seeking employment in UK and internationally,even when we are just fresh graduate? thank you.:unsure

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Any qualification will assist you in getting a job, but be under no illusion it does not guarantee you a job. There are 1000's of grads out there with great jobs and there are 1000's of grads unemployed or employed in a different field to what they studied.

Pushing that aside... For employment in the UK, both are great to have. However it does depend on what level of professional exams offered by the ECUK you're looking at.

For future international work, etc... While the degree is more or less a standard internationally (a degree from the US would be acepted in the UK and vice versa), professional qualifications that are issued by National Professional bodies aren't. In some countries where the professional quals aren't recognised they will have to go thru an assessment and then matched against that countries own education system. The professional qual that you hold may be reduced from degree level (in the UK) to the HND level or lower (in the country to go to). Take the UK for example, the NQF in Scotland is different from the NQF in the UK, how much more across the pond in the US, Oz, or the different countries in Asia.

You may want to do a degree that's accredited by the ECUK (to get the best of both worlds).

Hope that helps :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Ebe

Ebe New Member

:)thank for your advice .The level of ECUK I am looking at is the post graduate diploma and some people tell me that it's more good as compare to bachelor degree.Because it is considered as "post graduate" no matter seeking employment or furthering study.I was wondering if it is true.could you give me comments on this? thank you.

4. Ebe

Ebe New Member

some people also tell me that there must be a problem when seeking employment if you taking the Exam without working experience or a bachelor degree.it sound strange .is that true?

5. Kitkatninja

The Post Graduate Diploma offered by the ECUK via C&G sits at NQF level 7, which is the same level as a Master's degree (MSc/MA/MBA).

However in order to do the ECUK Post Grad Diploma you have to have a ECUK accredited degree, see here. Otherwise you'll have to do either the cert or other diploma before you can do the Post Grad.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  6. Kitkatninja

I think that they are confusing Professional qualifications that are work based with Professional qualifications that are academic based.

Professional qualifications that are work/experience based would include qualifications like the Cisco certs, Microsoft certs, the high level NVQ's (this also falls under vocational), certain C&G programs (LCGI/GCGI/MCGI, also falls under vocational), Chartered programs (CITP, CEng, etc). These certs/quals reflect the persons job role, responsibilities & experience as well as professional development.

Professional qualifications that are academic based would include qualifications like the ECUK cert/diploma/post grad quals and the BCS cert/diploma/Professional Diplomas. These certs/quals reflects the person's knowledge.

The problem is gaining the high level professional qualifications that are work based when you don't have any work experience to back those certs up.

If you don't have any experience then I would recommend only doing the entry level professional qualifications (based on experience) like the A+ and Network+ and if you want to gain the high end quals/cert then I would strongly recommend looking at the Professional qualification that are academic based (the programs from the ECUK or the BCS) or the academic route (BSc/BA, diploma's, certs from college's and Uni's).

Hope that helps

-Ken

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Don't eat yellow snow :wink:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009