Advice - What certification

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Yorkie, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Yorkie

Yorkie Bit Poster

Hi
    Im new to the forum
    I am 17 and just finishing a First Btec in IT support and hoping to do a NVQ starting in summer which is mostly work placement. I hope to do this in an investment bank. I would like to do a certification in the summer but can't decide which one. I was thinking of MSDST or A+. Do people think this is a good idea and what is the best way to get it. I was looking into Westminster College of Computing. But I am a student and would be spending my limited life savings so i cannot make a mistake! Im hoping an industry reconised qualification together with working as a Desktop support analyist for an Investment bank for a year for nothing should be enough to get me a job at the end of it. Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tommy Yorke

Approved - Boyce

Certifications: Very bad GCSE's
    WIP: First BTEC in IT Support
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd say that the A+ would be a good starter, as it is vendor neutral.

At your age you are used to studying (and also, as you said, have no money! :biggrin (I remember that time well)) so I'd suggest that you try doing A+ with self-study rather than spending money on colleges/training providers.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I'd agree with Harry, A+ is a great start, and using the self study method you'll save yourself alot of money.

The MCDST is a good cert to have as well, whats the harm in doing both? :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

A+, self study, welcome, bye. :biggrin

5. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Yup, what he said. The A+ covers the foundations of pretty much everything - get yourself a copy of Mike Meyer's book; mine arrived today by the way, 1171 pages - I nearly fainted!

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your studies.

Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for A+ and self-study with Meyers All-in-One 6th Ed.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Yorkie

Yorkie Bit Poster

thanks alot
    just to check because i have found a few
    A+ Certification All-in-one Exam Guide (All-In-One) ?
    its 1117 pages
    ill order it first thing Monday

8. Tartanbill

Tartanbill Bit Poster

Well that *IS* a job - there are people on this forum that would give their eye teeth to work as a desktop support analyst.

Have you given any thought as to what you would like to do ultimately?

Once you have an idea where you want to end up then you can put more thought as to how you want to achieve it. If you wanted to do networking or server administration then the MSDST wouldn't really be much use to you in the long term, although if you wanted to start off in desktop support and work your way up then it might be a good first step.

9. Yorkie

Yorkie Bit Poster

yeah i would prefer to do desktop support. i have a job interview in 3 hours! only a trainee technician position in a school but its a start.

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Good luck with the interview, as you said it's start and a potential foot in the door :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. Yorkie

Yorkie Bit Poster

cheers:biggrin

12. Yorkie

Yorkie Bit Poster

thanks all
    got da job!:biggrin

13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done and good news, what is the duration of this job and would you be getting paid?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  14. Yorkie

Yorkie Bit Poster

Permanent. just under 16k which i no is crap. But i have very little experience, rubbish grades and i am 17 so its great for me. one of the people interviewing me reckons i should be getting 12k. When I said i expect between 13k and 16k he seemed shocked but then they offered me 15,937. wish i said higher now lol. They also said what i reckon i should be earning would have no effect on what they gave me. seemed a bit to coincidental but i am very grateful for a start in IT.

15. Indo77

Indo77 Nibble Poster

Dude well done but I would not go as far as to say that the pay is crap. You are only 17 yet many of us oldies can't even get in the door, well done.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) HNC
  16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Congrats Yorkie.

£16k for a 17 year old in london sounds good to me!

:slidedrin

Ooops forgot you're not old enough for that yet! :oops:

17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey congrats on the job. Its a great start and dont worry about the pay, you are just starting out and it is normal for employers to be hesitant in respect to paying a salary to someone who just started. Its once you get the trust from an employer they are willing to invest in you.

Anyways good luck on your job, hope everything goes well.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

1 year isn't that long to wait he'll have built up a sizeable beer fund by then :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  19. Yorkie

Yorkie Bit Poster

thanks
    just got a bit depressing when i sat down and worked out how much money i can spend lol

20. Yorkie

Yorkie Bit Poster

yeh im startin 2 save!