Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Lee Richard, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Lee Richard

Lee Richard New Member

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice. I have recently been looking at a career change and i have decided to look into the possibility of getting into cyber security. I have been in touch with a company called Robust IT Training who have suggested a package that they offer. I have very limited knowledge of these courses and if what they are offering is value for money or not. I have basic computer knowledge having studied PC maintenance at college about 10 years ago but not ending up in the IT industry.

Below is the package they have recommended i would really appreciate some feedback on this package and if you think it would be worth it.

MTA Networking Fundamentals
    MTA Server Fundamentals
    CompTIA Network+
    CompTIA Security+
    CEH v10

All together the cost of this package is just under £3,000 which is a big investment.

Thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing your opinions.

Lee.

2. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

My advice is to self study for these certifications. It's doable and you will save a lot of money.

3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ditto. They may very well be a reputatable company but you can self study for all of those for a fraction of the cost. £300 for study materials then exam costs (guestimates but you get the idea). Save you a fortune and you can ask us for help and advice. Does take more discipline but where there's a will there's a way. Many of us on here are self taught and very successful

Certifications: VCP4, VCP5, VCP6, VCP6.5, VMConAWS Skill, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: VCAP 6.5 DCV (Design)
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, you can get all that for free, plus I think you would be wise to work your way up to the security aspect of IT by looking at a helpdesk role if you can get one, then move on after about a year or 2 etc.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster

What the others have said and also I would not say that is the best certificate path for entry level of security either.

What part of security do you want to work in?

Certifications: A few.
    JK2447 likes this.