Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Lee Richard, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Lee Richard

Lee Richard New Member

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice. I have recently been looking at a career change and i have decided to look into the possibility of getting into cyber security. I have been in touch with a company called Robust IT Training who have suggested a package that they offer. I have very limited knowledge of these courses and if what they are offering is value for money or not. I have basic computer knowledge having studied PC maintenance at college about 10 years ago but not ending up in the IT industry.

Below is the package they have recommended i would really appreciate some feedback on this package and if you think it would be worth it.

MTA Networking Fundamentals
    MTA Server Fundamentals
    CompTIA Network+
    CompTIA Security+
    CEH v10

All together the cost of this package is just under £3,000 which is a big investment.

Thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing your opinions.

Lee.

2. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

My advice is to self study for these certifications. It's doable and you will save a lot of money.

dmarsh likes this.
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ditto. They may very well be a reputatable company but you can self study for all of those for a fraction of the cost. £300 for study materials then exam costs (guestimates but you get the idea). Save you a fortune and you can ask us for help and advice. Does take more discipline but where there's a will there's a way. Many of us on here are self taught and very successful

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Yeah, you can get all that for free, plus I think you would be wise to work your way up to the security aspect of IT by looking at a helpdesk role if you can get one, then move on after about a year or 2 etc.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
    dmarsh likes this.
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

What the others have said and also I would not say that is the best certificate path for entry level of security either.

What part of security do you want to work in?

Certifications: A few.
    JK2447 likes this.
  6. Leon Williams

Leon Williams New Member

I've just completed the MTA Security and MTA Server with Robust IT and I'm really surprised on finding these negative reviews. I Had difficulty at the start, as I've never done any online study before, but they gave me loads of help and advice before and after I failed the first exam. They even gave me access to a classroom to give me more resources, before I resat my exam and I scored an impressive 98%!
    I found them friendly and really on the ball when it came to supporting me. I'll use them again for my Network +.

Aamir Rock likes this.
  7. Aamir Rock

Aamir Rock New Member

I am amazed that so much wrong information is given here by so called experts on this forum. I have started my cyber security training with Robust IT in sept 19. After doing a lot of research I found out that CEH exam alone cost $1199 and if you fail the exam it another $499. CompTIA Network Plus exam cost £195, CompTIA Security Plus exam £207, MTA Exams cost £90 each. Official labs for CEH $199. Official mock exams for another £50 each. They have offered 10 days classroom training and 1-to-1 sessions with the trainer, 5 courses with exams, official mocks, labs and resit for CEH as well. I have passed 3 certifications already. Its well worth it, do your research first. Self study is not easy and its gonna cost you the same.

Certifications: MCSA, MTA, CompTIA Network Plus, MSc
  8. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Those guys at RobustIT really need to quit shilling so hard.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
    dmarsh likes this.
  9. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Whatever Trevor. You can all the certificates in the world, if I was interviewing you and you said you had x amount of certificates but no experience, do you think you would get the job?

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  10. MSJ Jeni

MSJ Jeni Bit Poster

I think the package is a good investment. Self-study is hard especially if you don't have fundamentals and equipment needed.

11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

90%+ of the following courses can be completed with a decent laptop and a few VM's. The other parts you can watch videos online and just read up on, or you could build a small network at home with SOHO router, raspberry Pi linux host etc.

MTA Networking Fundamentals
    MTA Server Fundamentals
    CompTIA Network+
    CompTIA Security+
    CEH v10

Sure self study is harder than going on a course, however a career in IT is not easy, at some point you have to step up.
    I'd advise at least trying to self study MTA Networking Fundamentals, it was designed for self study by beginners by its creators.

JK2447 likes this.
  12. RT Sec Now

RT Sec Now New Member

Just for what it’s worth.. my experience with Robust IT and their 5 course programme has also been good.

I’m a sales guy with experience of selling systems with IT in them, rather than selling “IT systems”. I found Robust through Google.

With Robusts help, I have now completed Network+ and Security+, A+ and an MTA cert.

As a result I have been able to get a “full” Cyber-Sec sales role, with a path to pre-sales. It’s much better paid than my previous sales jobs and allows me to get more technical experience as I steer my career towards more technical roles.

Having the certs does not make me the finished article. Nor did they allow me to just walk into a Cyber manager or pre-sales job. But they’ve opened doors, which wouldn’t have opened without.. they are allowing me to transition to where I want to be.

I am grateful to Robust for their help.

Just as secondary points, I find comments like “experience is better” really unhelpful. Of course it’s better but if I had experience then this kind of introductory course wouldn’t be necessary, and your certification path would focus on areas to build on your experience. Also on “self-study vs course led”, bear in mind that around the course you will still need a significant amount of self-study. Plus whilst all the course material is available online, there are subtleties like “which parts of the course are more important than others?”, and “how much depth should I study this particular area?” Doing the certification within a course gave me much greater confidence at exam time, and allowed me to share my experience with other students.

I’m happy to talk through my experiences with anyone considering using Robust. They will be able to give you my contact details.

Rich

13. rbtmi306

rbtmi306 New Member

great