Advice needed

Discussion in 'A+' started by shaun7w, Sep 9, 2010.

1. shaun7w

shaun7w New Member

Hi everyone joined this forum today and am finding it very interesting and helpfull.

My name is Shaun and I'm 53 years old,quite fit and healthy.
    I have been interested and using computers for 15 years now and feel comfortable fixing pc's and laptops for friends and family as a hobby .
    I would say my experience is above average but nowhere near expert.
    I was recently made redundant from the aerospace industry and am thinking of a career change.
    For the past few years people I know keep saying I should go inti IT but I always thought it was maybe to big a step to take.
    But now I think maybe I should go for it ,but am concerned about my age
    Could anyone give me any advice on whether I should or not pursue this step.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi, sorry to hear you got laid off, BA I'm guessing. You are never too old, but it is very hard to get into IT right now as the market is terrible, but it can be done. Look into studying for CompTIA's A+ and N+ and try to get some volunteer work under your belt. You won't earn much if anything but in the IT industry experience counts for a great deal. Once you get your first lucky break you should be OK. Good luck and welcome to CF. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. shaun7w

shaun7w New Member

Hi I forgot to add under my works scheme they will fund me up to £2500 take the Comptia+ Networking which I have been looking into.

4. BMW320DMSPORT

BMW320DMSPORT New Member

Hi, I have also recently been made redundant from a place where I was doing 2/3rd line support, for almost 11 years. I am not too far behind you age wise, but I have had 15 years plus experience in the IT arena.

Unfortunately I am finding it very hard to secure work at a similar rate, so I have had to drop my salary expectations some what, but I have found that I am competing with "kids" half my age prepared to work for half the amount!

So I may consider starting my own PC repair business. (Maybe this could be an option for you as well??)

As for the question about your age, I am sure that you will get conflicting advice, but I am finding it difficult to secure work, which could or could not be an age related problem, but who knows, as there are 1001 reasons for not being successful at gaining work.... any way all the best!

Kind regards.

Certifications: OND, HNC, BEng(Hons) MCP, MCTS, MCITP.
    WIP: CCNA,and Voice....
  5. shaun7w

shaun7w New Member

Thanks for the advice guys,I appreciate it

6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Shaun welcome to CF. On your question it's never too late and a lot of employers may prefer to take you on based on your age and life experience over a kid fresh out of uni. The problem you will have is you will have to start at the bottom and that equals in your case probably a huge pay cut. With time and depending on your location your salary will go up as you gain experience. Not to put you off but I would seriously think long and hard about a career in IT as pointed out by jk2447 the market is really poor at present.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Well, I feel your pain. Try 30+ years and finding out your position is eliminated (not the work which gets spread around to younger ones but your "position"). My background in Engineering (not IT) but I'm sorting through what to try next as I experience my "retirement". All I can say is hang in there! As for you age remember that attitude and maturity count a lot too! :blink

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  8. shaun7w

shaun7w New Member

Thanks for all the advice,I'm due to start A+ also N+ in the next week or 2

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've known plenty of people in their 50s get their start in IT, so it's not too late!

Welcome to the forums. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I am older than you and forgot more about IT than i know and can still impress.. it isn't so much about a persons age, as their willingness to continually learn and their ability. I have yet to meet a younger person that is more proficient than me at resolving IT related issues. Maybe i need to get out more.. where is my zimmer? :biggrin

Running your own business is not for the faint hearted and the competition for trade is high. I've been doing it since 2003 and the only reason i can survive is because i was already very financially stable, with very small outgoings.

Whatever you decide, i wish you the best of luck!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)