Advice needed please!!! A+/CIW

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Poppetshop, May 25, 2009.

1. Poppetshop

Poppetshop New Member

Hello Everyone!

Wonder if anyone can give me some advice. I'm currently looking into a career change and going from a job in the Travel Industry to IT. I'm looking at either Web Design or Web Development.

I have a friend in IT who has said I must complete my A+ as it's the 'foundations' to every career in IT. I'm taking his advice on board but I can't help but feel the course isn't what I really want to do. Although if it's what I need for my career, then I will be happy to do it.

For the Web Design part of it I'm looking at CIW courses which I think suit me much better, although I think I will be self-studying. Computeach sent a rep round to my house who quoted £6,800 for A+ and CIW! Expensive, eh?

Anyway, the question I'm asking you is - Does anyone agree with my friend and think A+ is essential or do you think I can jump straight in with CIW?

Let me know - thank you!!!! :biggrin

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

THe A+ will give you a good grounding in IT but is noway related to Web design but it is a good certification to get.

As for the CIW it's a bit pointless tbh if you want to get into web design you need to learn to create web pages and use various methods and apps related to it. What an employer will really want to see is your designs in a portfolio not a CIW certification.

So make a portfolio up once you have some designs done and send them of to employers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would disagree with that sweeping statement. The A+ is strongly recommended if you're going down the route of IT Support.

Like GBL already stated, employers (when it comes to web design/development) really want to look at a good portfolio. Start building that. If you're looking at certs to help you develop your skills, yes, I would say look at the CIW range of certs, also look at Adobe Certified Associate range of certs too (in Dreamweaver and Flash).

To help you get started, look at 3Schools. They have lots of free tutorials to get you into it :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

What Ken said. :D

Certs are completely optional for web development work, talent is all that matters.

The A+ covers some good general IT knowledge but very little of it is strictly required for web dev.

Look at W3C Schools, concentrate on HTML, CSS and JavaScript. When you get comfortable with the basics you can look at other things like JQuery, Flash and maybe some serverside technologies.

Goodluck ! :D

5. Poppetshop

Poppetshop New Member

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your comments and your advice :D

I think I will still proceed with doing my certs as I need them to actually teach me the skills and requirements for putting together my portfolio. And I will def check out W3C Schools too.

I think I may put my A+ on hold for the time being then and do what I really want to do, Web Design.

Thanks again

Lyndsay