Advice Needed for Certifications

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by cebi, Jul 5, 2008.

1. cebi

cebi Bit Poster

Hi everybody,

I live in London, I did a lot of research on training companies and after reading the topic by Zimbo @ http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread11894.html

I decided to go with self study. I will start with the Comptia A+ Certification.

I will only buy the book: A+ Certification All-in-one Exam Guide

What I need advice on is, at the moment I am on Job Seekers Allowance,

1) Does anybody know the benefits I can get on exams?
    2) Recommended test centers where I can book the exams?
    3) Is there any website where I can access exam questions and practice? or such..

Thank You

Certifications: BSc Computing
  2. paradoxni

paradoxni Nibble Poster

If you buy the above mentioned book: "the bonus CD-ROM contains 6 practice tests, hundreds of questions, and LearnKey(tm) video clips". I used this book myself and its good.

As for test centres..www.prometric.com and you can find a centre near you.

Sorry no idea about JSA.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST, CCENT
    WIP: Server+
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

There's nothing directly via being in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance.

Local colleges etc may offer significant course discounts but these courses are likely to run over an academic year starting in September.

Best my local centre could suggest was to check with Learndirect and they couldn't offer anything cheap in terms of "recognised" certs.

Bit disappointing all round really :rolleyes:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Have you made the jobcentre aware of your studies/intentions? They might be able to help or know someone who will give you a job.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Learn direct do courses such as the A+, I don't think they do distance learning though. A friend of mine who is on JSA was gonna do the A+ at a college in Durham but you have to stay there. Everything is free and they have practicle workshops.

Ask at your job center about it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. paradoxni

paradoxni Nibble Poster

Had a quick look at some local colleges here in NI, they do offer reduced fee's for tuition and exam registration for those on job seekers (e.g. £100 tuition fee reduced to £20 for Jobseekers.) I would look at colleges in your area and see what is available. If your going the self-study route thou my guess is you'll have to pay full exam fee's yourself.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST, CCENT
    WIP: Server+
  7. ManDevil

ManDevil New Member

You might be able to get it paid for through the jobcentre using ADF (advisor discretionry fund), I think only if you are on New Deal though (you have to be on jobseekers for 6 months for 18-24 year olds and 18 months 25+, but I think there is some flexibility on that). It is then up to the disretion of the advidor if they offer to pay for it if they think it will help you gain work.

Jobcentres also usually work with a group of local training providers and might end up sending you to one of those for training, some of them local to me work with learndirect, but usually only a limited number of courses, but it might be worth checking them out.

WIP: A+/N+