Advice - Love the actual Job - Not like my actual place of work -

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Colloghi, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well on this cold and bitter evening, I was wondering I could get some advice from my fellow forum people.

Im currently in a job role which I am enjoying a lot in terms of the work I do, and the experences Im getting out of it. In title I am the IT technician for a small company, but as I'm the sole IT person, I undertake the IT management role duties in addition to providing user/server support etc.

The role has been great for me and developed my skills further, and whilst Id prefer not doing the IT Manager duties, and would rather focus on technical stuff, its been good experience either way.

The thing is, I really dont like the enviroment of the place I work at. I dont feel like I get the support I need to improve the IT infrastructure, and during times when asked for advice, the advice is pretty much ignored, and I really wonder why Im actually here.

Ive been applying for a few new roles and have been asked the standard.....Why are you wanting to leave and whilst ive stated "for a new challenge", "more technical based role", I kinda wonder if this is going against me and whther I should just be honest as above.. The thing is, this exact role at another place, I would love and hence I think im burdening myself, by suggesting Im not enjoying the whole role, and also by not stating my frustrations at what Im trying to achieve and why with the suggestions Ive made.......However I dont want to seem like showing the company in a negative light.

:|meeeeeeeeeeh

Would it be better to just be honest? I guess it might depend on how I word it.......

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
    Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I think there is an element of that in many IT jobs.

Just as an example I went to see a new customer as they wanted to upgrade their current IT infrastructure. Anyways turned out that the MD didn’t tell the IT manager I was coming so he was kinda pi55ed off when I turned up. The IT manager had put his own ideas together to what he wanted to do to the network but the MD just ignored it and called in me (as a contractor) to make some recommendations – so he basically ignored the IT Manager – not good!

Anyways, if asked why you are moving on just say you have taken the network as far as you can take it and you would like a fresh challenge – nothing wrong with that.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Thats a good way of putting it Sparky.....as I have baically taken the network as far as I can although, the forthcoming SBS migration to new servers..........well that should be fun

You know, Ive been in a few roles and dealt with a few Managers/Directors who obviously think they know best. However this director is frankly a complete .......... This dosnt just extend to IT thankfully but most departments. He just dosnt get it,...told me the other day that the company could make do with our SBS server, which is underlicensed, overloaded and runs almost everything.........becaue he felt another server needed updating first........because its 4 years old. Despite the fact it runs almost perfect

I also have a office move on Monday, with a new office with no phone lines or ADSL lines............3G dongles for desktop PCs, via a VPN with emails up to 30mb in size, and a sole MFP /photocopier conencted to one unlucky users pc, for all the other staff to send documents to print.

yeah this is going to go well:D

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nightmare.

Have you seen the Firewalls that have a 3G card built in? Could be an option here, you can even have a point to point VPN to your main office if your Firewall supports it

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

We used a sonicwall VPN, and funny enough we did get offered a option of a point to point VPN. However as always there are some issues. Due to the migration into our new VPN which should be in 2 months, the sonicwall will be redundant as we will be using the group cisco standard firewalls.

second Issue

THose above were not willing to splash out on the cash because of the above and the fact we havnt actually signed the lease on the new building..........because that would be sensible.

The building isnt actually that far away, less than a half mile, so eventually we planned a PTP Wifi solution, which would allow the VOIP, and the networks be as one. This would also make it easier to inegrate into the new domain infrastructure

Hopefully:)

6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

They say it's best not to badmouth your existing or previous employer when presenting yourself for new opportunities.

By saying something about your existing employer in a truly negative manner, could give the impression to potential new employers that you're not someone that sees things with a glass half-full, but more of a glass half-empty look on life including jobs.

I would simply let them know that you like what you do but you're looking for an even bigger challenge. There's always room for improvement in our lives and you're looking to get this by picking up new things. That's honest enough and won't paint your existing employer in a bad light.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with others, I always try and make things look positive. When the employer hires you, he/she wants to keep you for a few years... If they feel like they can't rely on you or see that you leave because of negativity, they'll be hesitant and might not consider you for the opportunity.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Cheers for the advice everyone.

Ive actually had a interview arrange for a similar role with a better wage for Tuesday! so hopefully it will all go well.

Ive had chance to set up my desktop pcs with their 3G dongles ready for staff tommorow, which yeah is gonnabe sh1t.

****Football Spoiler Alert***********

Combine this with the fact that our Director is HUUUGE manyoo fan, and myself a Man City fan.

Ill probably have a right bollocking awaiting me if it goes wrong tommorow.

After todays Footy Game, Ill be one smug b@stard either way