Advice/Guidance

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jan 13, 2007.

?

Whats is your degree of Problems?

1. I cant be arsed using google

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. i do the basic troubleshooting

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. when i have an idea but need confirmation

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. when im totally lost and even google cant help

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  5. problems? me? you got to be kinding?

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. just simply help and advise on certs

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

When you have problems with computers, and ask for advice here on CF, what level of problem do you class it?

is it something simple, but you cant be arsed, or something you totally lost in, and have no knowledge what so ever in, or perhaps your Harry, an encylopeadia, and just knows pratically everything about these bleedying machines!

mutiple choice

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I generally post a problem I have come across at work and need a second opinion. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Bit of everything really. 8)

I think that I know enough to help others, but I will pose questions when I'm unsure of something, or if I haven't got the time to go looking for the solution myself.

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

most of my questions come out of studying in fact all my questions come out of studying... i google first try looking through books as well but nothing beats when someone explains it to you in a forum like this... :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I try and help where I can but a lot of the time someone's beaten me to it.

I always research a problem I have thoroughly before putting it out there because I personally find it quite irritating having to read the same question time and again (eg. I'm new to certs, where do you recommend I start?) and don't want to inflict it on others. I'm not a very patient person and I don't reply to those kind of threads because I'd probably come across as being too abrasive (which I'm sure I have from time to time anyway :D ).

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

When I'm up against the wall and can't figure it out. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

I just love reading about it here before it happens to me. :eek:

No, really - there are times when I come across problems which maybe aren't my everyday stuff, you know, in the pub or whatever and because I've seen something similar on the forums here I can either point someone towards the answer or take it on myself. :rolleyes:

S'cool really...8)

So, well, thanks guys and guyesses!

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

For me its basicaly when I tried all that I know and searched online and cant find the solution, then I usualy come here because I always get help from you guys. Much appreciated.

Also sometimes I need a second opinion where there is no room for mistakes.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If someone can't be arsed to use Google to even *attempt* to find the answer, I can't be arsed to use Google to find it for them. Our time is just as valuable as theirs.

I rarely (if ever) ask for technical assistance on forums. I can find just about everything I need on Google. If I can't find it on Google, it's usually because it's a problem related to an app few people use, and in that case, I call their tech support line (they wrote their software, after all!).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nobody knows everything, and that is what forums are all about, sharing knowledge to help each other achieve what we are trying to achieve, be that fixing a weird fault or trying to grasp a new concept. It's easier if you can discuss it with someone that understands, especially as most of the people I have contact with in the real world don't even know their L2TP from their PPTP! :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

fixed :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I guess it depends on the subject if it's RIS or SVChost errors I use Google and if that doesn't work then I post the question here.

If it's Cert's then I post it here or search for it here rather than using google after all it will probably list CF anyway:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thank you, that has a much nicer ring to it :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

This forum is very easy going and relaxed.
    Some forums get the hump if someone asks a question that has come up before or appears on the first page of Google.

Personally, I try and research things myself but not scared to post on CF for people's opinions - sometimes things can be too *textbook* ; it is nice to have a human response.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Its a lil bit of em all really.

If its a question to do with an exam / cert and i'm not sure i understand it i'll post on here for a clear view.

If its a problem i havent come across before i'll try here as we have so many members somone probably has come across it (and you can get too much c*ap searching on google at times).

Sometimes its just for confirmation on a problem or understanding of something.

I think its always better to get other peoples advise and thoughts rather than trying to do a search on the web. The web is ok for known or common issues but not so much for the obscure plus sometimes the answers are given in too much tech speak to fathom quickly. Where as on here you can get clear advise most of the tiem quickly enough. (even quicker if Harry is around lol)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  16. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I used to Google everything first but I look through here now and if I can't find it lurking in a forum, I ask.

Reason why is I know the answer I get from you guys is going to be legit and trustworthy. I could google a query to find some malicious (or downright stupid) sod has put completely the wrong thing down which causes me more problems, or to download a patch to fix a problem to find my PC has caught the clap.

Shouldn't be so good at what you do then!!!!:D

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  17. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I mostly use google for any technical problems etc that are work related. I havent used this forums for that kind of issue.

I've mostly used CF to keep me in touch with the certifications and ask for advice and guidance from people who've already been in my situation. Although there are sites out there saying what to do and how to go about it, I often question their reasonsing.

Before I came to CF, I was going along the lines of courses for A+. After being involved and visiting the forums, I now see that self study is the best method for myself as it is for so many, so not only have the boards perhaps saved me money, but also gave me that guidance that I can get the A+ using my motiviation and a little help from you guys :twisted:

I thank you all for that :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  18. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I treat every problem as an opportunity if I can get away with it and I've had lot's of opportunities that have been fixed here..8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  19. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Only as a last resort. I save to buy books first. If books dont help then i try google. Normaly I will go flat out for a few hours and then decide to post a question, including any information I have uncovered but dont understand.

I, like most people, cant stand those who are so lazy that they post with every little question that comes into their heads, especialy when you know that goole will give about 100 million results. :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)