Advice from IT Professionals

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Dave, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Dave

Dave Bit Poster

Hi there,

I'm looking for some good honest advice from some of the seasoned professionals who frequent the board. A couple of years ago I finally made the decision to switch my career to the IT industry (something I'd wanted to do for a long time). At first, like so many others, I found it hugely difficult to get my foot in the door and get my first job in IT but thankfully two years on after a great deal of hard work I now have my first job in IT (1st / 2nd Line support for a Cloud based solution provider).

During studying for the usual Certs along the way I have discovered that I have a real genuine interest in the security side of IT and wanted to ask for any advice on how to try to get into / steer my career towards this field from where I currently am? Any advice that could be offered would be greatly appreciated?

(A dream job, and maybe it would be just that, a dream, would to be an IT Security Consultant)

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCP, MCDST, MCTA
    WIP: 70-290 & Linux+
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

You probably need to work toward something like CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional)

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

As security is part of the job now, based on what you've said, look at the following certs:

1. Comptia Security+ and the
    2. Microsoft Technology Associate: Security Fundamentals

Then see about volunteering or getting a transfer to the IT Security department.

The likes of the SSCP and the CISSP are great, however you do need 2 years specific IT Security experience (for the SSCP) and 5 years specfic IT Security experience (for the CISSP) respectively.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Dave

Dave Bit Poster

Thanks guys, very much appreciated

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCP, MCDST, MCTA
    WIP: 70-290 & Linux+