Advice For After N+

Discussion in 'Network+' started by mjolnir, Sep 16, 2011.

1. mjolnir

mjolnir New Member

Hi, I have already passed the a+ and am just about ready to take the network+.
    My dilema is I have a friend who gets me books from the states for free but i can only get one, so I was hoping to get some advice from you good people on which one i should be getting.
    I have considered CCNA, MCSA, MSCE and I am none the wiser as to which one would be the best for me to get at this point so I would like some advice on which one would be better to take next and which book to get.
    Here is a bit of background about myself, hopefully this will make it easier to offer advice...
    I bought the mike meyers all-in-one exam guide for the comptia a+, studied at home and passed both exams first time in the one sitting. I bought the same book for network+ and am looking to take exam very soon.
    I have a 2 custom built(by myself) PCs at home and have a typical adsl setup, therfore I have no means to actaully get any hands on some good networking equipment so that i can get some proper experience, everything thus far has been pure theory.
    I found the A+ fairly easy and the Network+ the same once i got my head around working in binary for subnets and ip addresses.
    I do 3d graphic design as a hobby but I'm not that good at it yet.
    I have zero experience with Apple Mac or Linux or Windows Server
    I am not too sure about what exactly I will end up doing but I understand that i need a "validated" (certificates) foundation and that is what the A+ and Network+ has been about
    I'm not shy about putting hard workk into something and I'm very resourceful when it comes to self teaching.

Well I hope that is enough, I know i have rammbled on a bit but i do appreciate any help.

2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Do the MCSA first. Don't touch the CCNA unless you have some networking experience. The MCSA is a good grounding in window technologies. networking is no longer about routers and switches, network engineers now need to know how the devices that hang out of the switches work, applications like DNS, RADIUS, CERT SERVERS, AD, AUTHENTICATION DEVICES, etc. This knowledge will make you a far better engineer.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. mjolnir

mjolnir New Member

Thanks for such a quick reply, do you have a recomendation on a good book for the MCSA and also what are the main differences between MCSE and MCSA?

thanks again

Edit: Also just seen on microsoft site that for newer tech the MCITP is the way to go, is this an updated version of MCSA? does this leave MCSA obsolete?

thanks

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

'fraid not sir, I am a cisco networking monkey or should I say lab rat.

There are loads of Microsoft chaps here that could advise on good MS books

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree