Advent Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ITbod, Jan 21, 2010.

1. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Erm....when you say free, I do expect tea to be made for me by the bucket load. (one suger, strong, with a touch of milk please and no grollies)

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I am without doubt, the best tea maker in the world. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. DanCML

DanCML New Member

Just been to the Advent offices and they’re deserted.

The company I work for supplied Advent and they owe us a fortune. Fat chance of getting that back.

All you guys who have been dropped in it but want to continue training should know that most of the home study material for these courses is produced by Microsoft or CompTIA through book publishers and can be purchased direct for under £40 each on average, and you can book the exams yourself through VUE without having to go via a training provider.

Microsoft home study kits:
    http://www.computermanuals.co.uk/av/train-1

Network+., A+ & CIW
    http://www.computermanuals.co.uk/av/train-2/

Book Your Exams Direct:
    http://www.pearsonvue.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

4. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I'm afraid Boyce you have obviously never tried one of my cups of tea it seems :p :D

This calls for a Tea Making Competition :D

I have found this story its on the BBC Website and at least its been given publicity now

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/8485189.stm

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Dan - Welcome to the forum and thanks for the links. Hope it hasn't had too much of an impact on the company you work for.

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Many have tried and failed in an attempt to beat my "tea skills". Not only do i make an awesome brew, but i still hold the "six cup challenge" carrying the cups from the kettle and delivering all successfully!

Thanks for the link. It's a shame that there are now more people out of work and students out of pocket. :(

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  7. DanCML

DanCML New Member

Still don't know how much it'll affect us - Advent combined with Access 2 Trade (the building trade training company they ran as a separate business) have both gone and their combined debts to us were quite hefty, we were hoping to retrieve the books they still haven't paid us for yet but alas the Advent Hagley offices were completely empty and locked up, and the Access 2 Trade building in the Hartlebury estate just has a security guard in the building telling people there's nobody there (plus some glass in the car park, looks like someone has had their window put through, but whether that was a disgruntled student/employee taking it on a car belonging to manager/director I have no idea). The past few weeks has been spent calling their offices repeatedly and being given the run around, we found out more looking at Facebook and here on CertForums than anywhere else.

We were hit a few years ago by the Britannia training collapse too, although for quite a lot less than Advent/Access 2 Trade owe us. We had no idea that Advent/Access 2 Trade were in trouble as they'd been paying bills pretty well up till early December.

8. felix09

felix09 New Member

hi. i have just spoken to barclays a letter is being sent to all 6000+ students who have been affected by the collapse of advent training.basically barclays will be trying to get your training finished with another trainer. i asked that if i didnt wish to continue with my training would they write off the loan they said no!!
    hope this helps.

9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

For those who didnt see the thread in the New Members section RE Advent, I am here to offer hope, hopefully to many people regarding the money they have paid to advent.

If you used cash, or a seperate bank loan, then I am afraid there is nothing I can do to help, however if you took out a form of finance agreement with Advent through a finance company (such as a bank) then you may be covered under Consumer Credit Laws, which cover all forms of credit, including these finance agreements.

This is taken from a consumer website, and is definitely worth following up with, either through direct letter to the bank your loan is with, the CAB or a solicitor, but the meat is below.

I wish you all good luck, and hopefully you will be more careful with your choices in future.

A late Merry Christmas

Info From http://whatconsumer.co.uk/consumer-credit-act-rights/

Credit Cards – Section 75

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act imposes equal liability on the creditor for breaches by the supplier. In other words, if the company you are buying from goes bust or disappears, or if the goods turn out to be faulty and you can’t get recompense from that company, the credit card company shares responsibility to refund you for the entire amount. However, it is important to remember that this is the case only for amounts between £100 and £30,000.

More recently, section 75 was also extended to cover transactions made overseas or to foreign companies. This also includes buying goods for delivery to the UK from overseas by telephone, mail order or over the internet.

There is now widespread awareness of this loophole as a means of enhanced consumer protection. As a result, credit card companies are getting increasingly reluctant to accept claims so easily. If you are having difficulty pursuing a claim against a credit card issuer, or they are telling you that you must first get a court judgement against the supplier, report it to the Financial Ombudsmen (www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk). They may even be able to award you compensation.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  10. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

So a 32 year old dry cleaning worker thinks it is necessary to pay £4500 for a course? I have an issue with TPs simply because I believe they flood the market with people who probably have no interest in IT and are only looking for an easy route into a "better" wage, and that bothers me quite a bit.

And it would appear the bank just don't understand his business model of spinning bull****, preying on the low in society just to further deepen his pockets. Go Figure.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

oh, the banks understand the business model alright. What's the saying? "Banks give you an umbrella in the summer and take it off you in the winter" The banks have helped fuel people in to this mess in the first place and when it's gone toes up - pulled the plug. The question is now: Who will they ask to support all the students who they say still must pay?

12. westernkings

Yea "An umbrella when it's sunshine and demand it back when it pisses down"

In a moral world, the banks would write it off, but that won't happen.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  13. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Actually I think Barclays probably did the right thing (admittedly rather late) to limit themselves to losses from bad debt from what will probably be a long and drawn out recession.

People have to take some responsibility themselves also, I don't blame the banks, although do find it rather strange they choose to fund TP's that must generate a lot of bad debt.

It appears some TP's even have in house credit companies and cherry pick the best loans and give the high risk debt to thirdparty loan providers. I really do wonder why they do it, also at zero percent ? There must be a charge factored in up front for the credit company.

The 2006 credit act has exclusions for certain low credit agreements so I hope you don't fall foul of these.

14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I blame the banks for handing out money willy nilly as I myself am still recovering from being in debt for years because of my naivity as a student.

And that is why a lot of people choose TPs, naivity. They don't realise that you can be studying on your own and they do not realise what courses they actually should be studying.

None of these TPs would exsist though if they actually told the truth which is "you shouldn't be doing the MCSE without the proper experience and you are not gonna earn big money for your first job".

And yes there are people who do these qualifications not because they enjoy/love IT is because they see £ signs in front of their eyes and believe the BS the sales people come out with and it's those people who have deminished the quality of the IT industry. This is why braindumps exsist.

But in my opinion the banks can't be blamed for wanting their money back. People have paid for a course which unfortunately isn't going to be delivered but they have paid for it with the banks money and they want their money back.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. ITtech

ITtech Bit Poster

There is another school here in the states computertraining.edu/computertraining.com they charged $28,000 for their 6 month course and they closed their doors on new years eve and screwed thousands of students left with a huge LOAN to make payments on.

It is so sad to see people who are trying to better themselves so they can provide a better life for their familes get screwed by these greedy people! I am so sorry and I hope you guys get your money back! :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Network+, CNA, MCSE, CCNA, MCT
  16. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Thanks to the 2 Providers offering support & courses for the people who have lost money, real good of you.

If any provider is thinking of offering some form of training / course for the A+ module (i.e similar to the 2 day workshop days that Advent would have offered) please give me a heads up.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: A+, N+
  17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Lets not lose sight of the facts here guys.

Advent had not intention of going bust.
    I'm sure their managers and staff are all equally sucked off.

For each one of you who has 'lost' a few thousand pounds, there are now a couple of hundred people out there wondering how they are going to pay their morgage next month.

You all went to Advent and bought a product/service from them.
    They went bust.

That doesn't mean you were ripped off, it's just unfortunate.

If you bought a sofa from DFS and they went bust before delivering it, you'd have no sofa.
    Would you say that DFS conned you? No, probably not.

So lets give the whole 'Robin Hood' thing a miss.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  18. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Who are you to say someone shouldn't try to better themself in this way? How many people in this world are in jobs they don't like/don't have an interest in? Why should IT be any different? If someone can do the job, then i see no reason why they should not be in it.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  19. westernkings

I think it would be very, very naive to claim that anything other than a minority of the people that fall for this are people trying to better themselves, it is more likely to be people looking for the old "get rich quick" gimmick.

I personally cannot name a single person that saw an advert saying "You can work in IT, take our course and earn a great salary in an ever growing industry, you can earn 35k!!!" and thought "ohh IT, I like that". Pretty sure they saw "wait, 5k investment, 35k a year return?, Get in". By all means better your self, everyone should consistently and constantly attempt to better themselves.

I speak from experience, I spent 2 years as a Chef from the age is 15 on an apprenticeship, then decided I don't like cooking that much, went to college and then landed my first IT job, I'm on my 3rd job now, well ahead of what I WAS on. I didn't however, sit there and go "wait, easy way to get a bigger salary".

Now that isn't a gripe on courses, I've just paid for some intensive 3 day courses in PRINCE2 and ITIL after someone I know did the same and I liked the look of it, but that isn't me looking for an EASY WAY into good money.

20. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Whats your point exactly? that earning more money is not bettering themself? Just because they didn't have an interest in IT when they saw this 'route' into IT, doesn't mean that what they are doing is wrong. It is by no means a get rich quick scheme, and i think you are being rather flippant in suggesting everyone who takes up a TP course is looking on it as an easy route to riches. You say your speak from experience, but i don't really see the relevence of that statement as just because you DIDN'T think "there's and easy route", it doesn't mean that everyone else DOES think it's an easy route.

Just for the record though, TP is a silly way to go IMO due to the ease of self study.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP