Advent Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by andygt, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andygt

andygt New Member

Hi just wondering if anyone has taken any courses with advent (advent.co.uk) and what theyre experiance of them is ?
    Looking to take an mcse course and on 1st impression they seem a lot more trustworthy than certain other training companies
    Any opinions welcome :biggrin

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Not heard of them Andy, but that needn't say to much. Quite possibly a perfectly reputable company.

Where are they based ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. andygt

andygt New Member

they're midlands based i believe and according to the mail out i got have been about for 12 years - the training centre is in birmingham city centre .

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Do you get a "salesman" type guy preaching on your doorstep for an hour, or did you find them quite comfortable and non-invasive ? I think that says a lot, as some companies are really "in your face" about trying to sign you up.

Also, what course materials do they provide ? Exams paid for in the fees ? How is their support ?

It would be interesting to hear of anyone else's experiences of Advent...any takers ?

5. andygt

andygt New Member

the guy who came round to speak to me seemed genuine and there was no hard sell - explained what they offered and discussed what i was looking for . all materials tutoring exam fees etc are included in the price . nothing more to pay for after the initial fee basically.

6. Inqueision

Inqueision Bit Poster

Hi all. Im Dave and decide to carry on with my it career after being out of it for 2yrs... i think that will be my downside.

Anyway ive been looking through the forum for the past few days reading what people have to say & i can say it has helped me in some ways :) althou i am more confused now lol

my current qualifications are only C&G 7261 Information Technology but it seemed to be a lite version of a+... however i have rang up advent before seeing this web site and the "advisor" came round and said that the mcse would be the course for you... im now enrolled but havnt paid yet as i have still 7 more days to ring up my "advisor" and say yes i would like to go for it. im now getting second thoughts after reading alot on this website about people recomending the A+ and network+ first....

this is what advent provide :

all the revelent manuals and cdroms,
    practial workshops at their brimingham facility
    unlimited tutor suppost on phone or email
    register with NET solutions (anyone heard of that site as ive looked and cant find it?!)
    cv "surgery"
    work experience placement service

now all sounds good but i dont wanna hand over my money until im sure. Andy can you give me your views please seen as you have enrolled?
    or is it best to sign up with nitlc?

also im in current full time employment and to fund this course am i eligable to get a cdl? what are the pro's and con's on this or could some one point me to some info for me to read up on

thankyou for takin time to read me long borin post :p

hope to seeing you on here in the future

WIP: A+ & Network+ now, not mcse (yet)
  7. Loki30000

Loki30000 Bit Poster

I to have just been visited by one so called "advent Tech adviser". Me and my parents both think he was a preaching sales man, although it was informative and interesting. It was a little bit of a one sided conversation (mainly on his side). It's not exactly cheap, although he did advise me on getting a CDL to cover the cost. i am presently gathering research and infomation on them, with not to much success. barr there own web site there is little to no info on them anywhere. if any one else has had any dealings or is/has been thro there training you input wld b much appreciated.

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: Home learning C++. Then VB and JAVA
  8. agster888

agster888 New Member

Have just started with Advent, i done a bit of research and came to the conclusion they are just as good / bad as any distance learning provider. I guess you get what you put in. Will keep you posted on how things are going and how much assistance i actually get.

WIP: A+ Network+ MCSE
  9. Ross

Ross Bit Poster

I've got a Interview next week with the guy from Advent, I'll let you know how it goes :)

I've also got a guy coming from www.nitlc.com tomorrow!!

Does anybody have any more information on who/what/when, I'm interested in the MCDBA course.

Ross

Certifications: I.T NVQ Levels 1 and 2, ECDL, A+, SDI, Senior SDI, ITIL, NVQ Management L3
    WIP: CompTIA N+
  10. Ricky G

Ricky G New Member

Hello All! First time poster....

I'm also looking into signing up with Advent this week. Just wondered iif Rosco, Andygt or Agster888 had any more info on them before I sign on the dotted line.

WIP: A better life
  11. Belmont

Belmont Bit Poster

Hello,

R.S.V.P.! Anyone, please! Or does this silence mean that...? :(

(I enrolled this week. My CDL is still in process.)

Certifications: none related
    WIP: Master CIW Web Site Manager
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hi Belmont.

Have you actually contacted them to request more info about their services ? Just because Threads on here occasionally go cold, don't take that as a bad sign. Give them a call and talk to them.

HTH :)

13. Belmont

Belmont Bit Poster

Now it seems to be out of question, Barclays rejected my application for the loan... :behead

Certifications: none related
    WIP: Master CIW Web Site Manager
  14. typeone

typeone New Member

Hi Guy's
    I also was thinking about starting training with Advent, I had the guy come round and tell me all about what they have to offer! As this is going to be a totaly new study for me I'm just so confused now. What I need to know is....
    This is going to be my first adventure into I.T I have never studied or worked inthis area. What is the true time it will take a person like me to get a mcsa/mcse from start to finish, the guy who came round said 14 month's but I just can't see that happening! Its seems a bit quick? He just didn't seem to be on the level to be honest, And I don't fancy chucking four and a half k down the drain. Can anyone please advise me.

15. rajjinator

rajjinator New Member

hi all, also seriously considering advent... dodgey salesman type guy came round last week but didnt seem too pushy. I'm thinking the microsoft qualification there offering is better than that offered by other training companies such as cerco training as its a recognised qualification. BUT!, is it worth the money? sorta top side of 4 grand? are there any better companies around that can do it cheaper or that anybody can recommend?

thanks for your help ppl...

cheers, matt

WIP: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Did they offer the MCSE as Microsoft training?

Best to aim for the A+ and Network+ first before even thinking about the MCSE without any industry experience. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. law123

law123 Byte Poster

My advice is doing a bit of self study :study find out if you like IT then read some more forums get different opinions then decide.

I have also noticed that there is a few new members so I would like to say a big hello and welcome to CF. Why don’t you new members pop up to the new members section a tell everyone a little about yourselves. :)

From the little Devil :devilflam

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's possible to do the MCSA in 14 months as that only entails four exams. Three and a bit months per exam is doable if you are motivated and a good learner.

The MCSE is seven exams, hence only two months per exam. That is a tight schedule. When I did my MCSE it took me 3 years full on study and I had 7 years experience as a network admin. One exam took me a year (ISA elective) before I felt ready to sit it. Another 70-216 (nicknamed *the beast*) I failed after 6 months study. Some of the MCSE exams are tough as hell to pass. Do not underestimate the complexity of them.

I think MCSE is over the top for anyone that hasn't had at least a years experience supporting/administrating server products. That is Microsoft's targeted audience.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. Ezzauk

Ezzauk New Member

Hi All, im currently trainining with advent (adventtraining.co.uk) iv been with them a year now, and i find the service great, iv been to 3 of there workshops (TCP/IP & XP & Server) and they are easy to pick up, you get the added bonus of taking your exam at the training centre, and all the staff are helpful

Certifications: MCP x 2
    WIP: MCP - 70-294
  20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

My, what a happy customer you are of theirs, Ezzauk - why not pop up to the New Members forum and tell us a little more about you and what course you're on ?