Advent training please advise

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by roundy, Aug 31, 2008.

1. roundy

roundy New Member

Hi guys,

My name is James and I have 5 years of experience of first line and 2 years on second line support.
    Currently I have gotten work with just having experience etc and would like some qualifications under my belt. At present working on 1st , 2nd and local engineer.

I have seen advent training and know I can get a MSCE for £4500 or along those lines.

My question is should I go for the MCSE course next week (already had the sales guy round) and do the 2 years of study??

The only things holding me back are............

I know 2003 will expire soon so I will be qualified for a year and 2008 will be out then - would this affect me that much not having 2008 qualifications or should I wait till I can take the updated 2008 courses?

Or should I take something like an MCP and then see what companies are looking for i.e. 2008 qualifications

As I said before I don’t have A+ or network + and currently earn £19k, I think having these exams would help me get in the 25k area easy and I should be on more but really justify it if I don’t have the qualifications.

I know I could take the a few exams with my company but I don’t want to be stuck with them as I currently looking for a new job.

Hope you can help guys.

2. roundy

roundy New Member

Any feedback would be great from anyone in the same position or currently training with advent so I know what they are like as a company etc.

Much appreciated
    James

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

These are just my opinions...

1. You have 1st and 2nd line support, I would strongly recommend (for now) just go down the MCSA route. As I very much doubt that as 2nd line support you're designing networks.

2. I believe that £4500 is expensive, you can get a degree for less than that.

3. I would strongly recommend doing the A+ & the Network+. As that combination together is an elective towards the MCSA and the Network+ gives you a strong base to build on, especially with the 70-291.

4. The 2003/XP certifications has a long life span left. Consider the 2000 route, MS has only just retired the exams this year, and there are plenty of companies out there still using Windows 2000. In fact our ISP has only just moved from NT4.

5. 2008 certs are great, but if you don't work with the technology, to be honest forget about them. Professional cert like these are there to validate/reflect your job role and responsibilities.

6. Don't expect to get £25k just because you have a MCSE, MCSA or any qualification. To be honest build up your experience, see if you can shadow 3rd line support - get a feel for what they do... Don't fall for the adverts that say that you'll get X amount if you do the course thru us, they're taking you for a ride...

The above is just my opinions based on my experiences. But as ever the choice is yours...

-ken

p.s. welcome to CF :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

£4500 doesn’t get you a ‘MCSE’, hard work does. 8)

If you hand over the cash you then have to put the work in and the majority of the time you will be reading books and websites (e.g. technet). All of this can be backed up with some lab work as well.

Why not aim for the MCSA first? Just get a few books and see how it goes. No need to commit so much money towards the MCSE when you are thinking about server 2008 certs.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. roundy

roundy New Member

Until the recent restructure at my work, I was able to gain knowledge of all the teams really and I was set to have a solid job in 2nd line and working closely with the 3rd line support team also. Now it looks like I will be doing more of a first line ITIL route which I am not happy about.

I was fine with just having my experience and proved to be a hard worker, I now need A+, network+ and MCP just to break into the 2nd line role so hence I needs some qualifications if I am to stay with my current employer.

I know I’m going to need qualifications for future jobs and earn more money etc, I know nothing is guaranteed taking these courses.

Just unsure what to take, I don't know if Advent do just the MSCA version of the course?

Does anyone know?

6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No reason why you can’t look for another job mate.

Like I said, why commit so much money to the MCSE or MCSA if you are unsure what course you want to do?

You may not like studying for certs as it does take up much of your free time. Why not get the 70-270 MS Press book and start from there?

Oh, and its MCSA, not MSCA. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Why on earth do you need Advent ? Just buy the MS study kits for the MCSA exams, get hold of VMWare Server, Windows 2003 Server, Windows XP and a PC and off you go...

Failing that some colleges run MCSA night classes, but self study is probably the best option...

I'll make it as easy for you as its gonna get :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MCSA-Self-P...ro-Certification/dp/0735621527/ref=pd_sim_b_1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MCSA-MCSE-Self-Paced-Training-70-290/dp/0735622892/ref=pd_sim_b_1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MCSA-MCSE-Self-Paced-Training-70-291/dp/0735622884/ref=pd_sim_b_3

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
    http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
    http://petruska.stardock.net/Software/VMware.html

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb892756.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/secondshot/default.mspx
    http://www.register.prometric.com/Index.asp

Should be pretty easy for anyone with 7 years of experience.

Best of luck ! :D

8. roundy

roundy New Member

I think the price of £4+k is allot when buying the books does seem allot cheaper, and i wouldnt need MCSA anyway.

Thank you for feedback and where to purchase books. Hopefully i will hear something back from the company i applied for recently. Where i am at present is not helping me at all :(

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The MCSE and MCSA are useful... but not until you've got 6-12 months of server administration experience.

I agree with the rest:
    1) You should start with the A+, Network+, and MCDST. None of them should take that long considering you've got many years of IT experience.
    2) You should *really* consider self-study as an option. See all those certs in my sig? Every one was achieved through self-study and on-the-job experience. I have yet to take a training course.
    3) Certifications don't get you more salary; experience does. Certifications are great, but they're no substitute for experience.
    4) When you do get some server admin experience, you should pursue the oldest one first. I would guess that the Server 2003 MCSA/MCSE will be around for at LEAST 3 more years... and companies will be using it for far longer than that.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

The Advent MCSE course isn't just the MCSE !

The Advent MCSE course is in fact the following.....

A+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE

(MCP)

They don't seem to include N+ for some reason.

If you go down this route make sure you can go to the workshops that's what your really paying for.

Andrew

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  11. evilstewy

evilstewy New Member

I'm studying with advent myself at the mo (just got mcdst - yay!) and am loving it, but it sounds to me that you'd be fully capable of doing the study completly independantly of both a training firm and your current company.
    I feel with advent i've paid over the odds but it was worth it to remove the hassle of where to start learning. sounds like your work experience sidesteps the need for A+. If I were you and really wanted to do it I'd research the Advent MCSE syllybus and go at it myself.
    Again- I love Advent but tsk... cash!

12. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Congrats on getting MCDST, perhaps make a post in the introduction?, so it doesn't look like you're just plugging for Advent :dry

I feel with Advent you have paid over the odds, and I think that your comment 'but it was worth it to remove the hassle of where to start learning' is absolutely rubbish, this forum displays exactly where to start in I.T. However valuable work experience the OP might of got, the A+ is still a necessity!, I mean yikes, people who have been in I.T for 20-30 years still can learn from the A+, so 'side-stepping' the A+ holds no water.

Why would he want to research the MCSE syllabus for Advent? The OP can take the A+/N+ & MCDST, then the MCSA, then go on holiday, buy a brand new top spec PC, an ice cream, watch a movie, go for a beer, buy a special lady a meal, some flowers and still have money left over as opposed to what Advent charge :eek:

I hate ridiculously biased posts and this one in particular rubbed me up the wrong way :(

Goes to get coffee whilst muttering under his breath.....

WIP: MCDST
  13. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Classic. :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think everyone on here knows my feelings on these so called training companies, and whilst you don't I'll tell you. They are a complete waste of time and money. Like Niave said you could go on holiday or something with that money, you could buy a bloody car too.

These places promise you a job for 30k a year as your first job and it's a complete load of bollocks.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?