Advent Training and Finance Options

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mccal, Nov 10, 2008.

1. mccal

mccal New Member

Hi there,

I have been reading through the forums on Advent Computer Training. I am 21 and have been speaking with 1 of their 'advisors' about a course and they recommended A+ through to MCSE which costs 5K. A lot of money that I do not have but he said there was options available including Barclays bank, with the first year being interest free, now he did say after the first year if I could not pay the amount owed then interest would be much higher than the normal rate.

My question therefore is as anyone been with Advent on this financial option? If yes, what is it like? I.e do you have to pay every month from the beginning of the course?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

MC

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Have you looked at local colleges for OCR iPro, A+ and Foundation Degrees part time ?

Have you thought about not taking credit and either funding your career with your current job or an entry level IT job ?

It is not always wise to do things that can't be self funding, sometimes if they can't self fund today, they won't tommorrow either.

An evening A+ course at a college would limit your commitment to around £500, if you decide its not for you then you have lost very little and not gotten yourself into debt at a time when the economy looks very dicey indeed ! :D

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Also you shouldn't be doing the MCSE unless you have the experience of supporting a Multi user multi server environment.

The MCSE is for people who already do this for a living not for people who want to do this.

You could also consider self study, that is where you get the books yourself an old pc and practice what you are learning.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings. Let's take a step backwards. What exactly do you want to do in IT for a career. The MCSE maps to a specific skill set but, let's say you wanted to be a database administrator. The MCSE in that case, wouldn't help a great deal. What are your goals?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. mccal

mccal New Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I have got a few qualifications, but just ECDL and Diploma in ICT Systems support. This is the field I want to get back into, as in my previous (not current) job I worked for a small computer company but the money was very bad. I really want to get back into the IT sector, I have not signed anything yet. The advisor is coming round tommorow with more information about the financial option. I understand from the other posts that MCSE certainly does not guarantee you 40k as you must have experience, you have to start from the ground up at entry level. After looking at websites for IT jobs (hays, jobserve etc) I have found there is a demand for IT work, mostly require some sort of MS qualification with experience.

With comptia A+ I have checked a local college but this option is NOT available to me on the adult courses option. University is incredibly expensive, for the same courses that Advent provide they will charge 10k over 4 years, that course is computer science and includes Cisco.

MC