Advent & Computeach: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by tony_baduk, Oct 12, 2005.

1. tony_baduk

tony_baduk Bit Poster

Hi all
    First of all, having browsed through CF- can I say what a fantastic forum this is. It is well advised and been interesting reading.

I have been reading through many posts and felt I had to ask the following:

Do Advent Training and Computeach offer the same kind of service?

I've had prices from both:

Computeach for the MCSE - £4500
    Advent for the MCSE - £4450

Advent say that there is no time limit on their courses and no penalty for going over 2 years.

Has anyone signed up for any of these two and have opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: BA (Hons) Media & Comms
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi and welcome to CF! :biggrin

I'm affraid I can't answer your question on those two training providers, but if you pop over to the new members forum, and tell us a bit about yourself, what you background is etc people may be able to offer better advice.

:biggrin

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

What he said. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome to CF.

This type of question has been mentioned many a time. There are lots that good and bad said about all companies.

Have you thought about looking at A+ to start with?

Best of luck. Let us know what you decide. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. iank

iank Bit Poster

Hi I have been monitoring this site now for some time and read most articles. In my opinion and please note this is (my opinion) after studying this site, anyone who then decides to pay one of these training organisations £4000 ish must just have to much money.
    It seems quite obvious to me that training organisations monitor this site, so why doesnt each one make themselves known and publish straight facts and figures.

How many students do they take on each year?
    how many students actually get jobs?
    How many finnish the courses?
    How many don't get past the early stages
    What kind of training material do they each use?

But alas I have a feeling that these kind of figures will not be printed as I am kinda sure the stats would shock us all.

I am still on the look out for a descent training organisation, whome I can fully trust to help me. Until then its the Myers A+ for approx £30.00.

Thanks for listening

6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I would add to the above list:

How many students have enough real world skills to actually hold down a job when/if they do get one?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. iank

iank Bit Poster

There is a million questions to ask, if anyone has any useful questions to add, then please do so, and all you trainers out there, how about some answers.

or maybe we could compile a list together for all, and then if anyone is thinking of training they would know what to ask before signing up for a course.

8. tony_baduk

tony_baduk Bit Poster

Hi again,
    I have been doing some searching and found that my local university (UCE) is actually doing the MCSA course for a bargain (compared to Computeach and Advent) £708.00 + £45 for exams.

I'm quite tempted to be honest, what do you guys think? Is it worth going to Uni to do this course and has anyone experienced this at any Uni?

The course is a Microsoft MCSA 2003 and will last to 6-12 months.

Tony

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Didn't I just answer this question someplace? :blink

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

lol - that's why we ask Members not to double-post, tony. I guess you meant well, but could you try and avoid it in future ? :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sorry...should have mentioned that I already PMed him to let him know. :wink:

12. tony_baduk

tony_baduk Bit Poster

Whoops :cry:

Sorry. Won't happen again.

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

No worries, Tony :)

14. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

In defence of the training organisations, I have to say that so far I've been happy with NITLC and the way they conduct themselves. Their rep, was straight up about my chances of passing and finding a job (although their brochure optimistically reckoned a starting salary of £30,000 as I remember), he never promised me anything.

Although it's a lot of money to fork out, having 4 large riding on it certainly gives me an impetous to sit down and work on it. Something I'm not sure I'd do if I just went out and bought the books. Plus, if it does all go tits up, the support and advice is there as well. This is great for me as I don't really know anyone who's got or studied IT certs and I don't even know anyone who's interested in computers to the level I am. The one friend I did have in the field has just moved 200 miles away so I'm all alone :( .

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

errr excuse me mate.. to get hold of your advisor or whatever they call them over there for help what do you have to do? either send an email or phone (duhh!!) THE POINT is: whats CF??

There are some guys who have loads of certs some even started from MCSE NT 4.0 and just finished MCSE 2003!!

I bet you also that if you send an email to your training provider and post the exact question - you will get atleat 5 answers by the time your email gets back!

8) 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  16. Baba O'Riley

Fair enough that, but like I say, It's certainly a boot up the jacksy for making me sit down and study.

Also, I've had a lot of responses to job applications because I can say that I'm on a course. I'm not sure I'd have got the same response by saying I'm reading an IT book in my spare time.

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

EXAMPLE of a CV layout lets say:

Qualifications:
    MCSE 2000
    A+
    Network+

Currently Studying:
    CCNA

whether you doing the cert on your own with a provider doesnt make a difference.. just as long as you mention you still havent achieved that cert! :)

are you attending classes for this cert?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

In fairness, zimbo - thanks for the kind words in support of CF, but Baba has paid for phone and email tutor support from NITLC, so why not use them ? We can all be used together to maximise a student's chances, after all (and we would be rather arrogant to assume that CF is "all the support you need in one easy place" - lol ). :)

19. Baba O'Riley

Thanks Jak,

Just because I can get support from NITLC, doesn't mean I wouldn't ask here as well. After all, what would you all do all day if no one ever posted here? Plus, I bet not even the great assembled minds here could answer every possible question.

I appreciate that some people might prefer to self study, but as I really didn't have any previous knowlwdge of IT certs, it's given me a structure to follow and the motivation to stick at it. I also get the workshops which would cost a fair old bit by themselves anyway, so I don't really think I'm paying that much over the odds.

20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

My point exactly, put much more simply than I put it ! :oops: