Advent A+ Workshop

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juspaul, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Juspaul

Juspaul Bit Poster

I'm going to the Advent 2 day workshop in Kidderminster 6th 7th August (A+ Essentials), any advice or tips from anyone who's done any of their workshops?
    Oh yeah and any recommended Pubs? lol

Also, anyone on here whos going??

Certifications: C&G Print Origination
    WIP: A+, CIW
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

HI Juspaul a few tips are:

1) Get there early for a parking space

2) Remember to ask lots of questions, if you are thinking it then 9 times out of 10 there is a good chance some one else is as well. The tutors are there to help and from past experience they like it when questions are asked. Especially Kam or Julian.

3) make as many notes as you can if you haven't done something in the practicals before as you can forget later.

4) try and get as many of the class as you can to go for a drink/bite of food afterwards, it builds a nice atmosphere with the other members of the group, you may be on courses together in the future and its always nice to have friends. Your all in the same boat, away from home probably without anyone else you know so why have tea on your own?

5)If you head past the B&Q at the bottom of the street (away from the centre of town) and go across (or under if you are on foot) the big roundabout to a pub called the Water Mill. You are looking at a 5 min walk tops. The pub does fairly standard pub fare but at 2 main meals for £10 it keeps the cost down.

6) Swap email addresses with other members of the course as then you can ask each other for help, Advent doesn't have a student forum, well an official one at least so if you get stuck ask the guys on the course with you, (or ask here) but you may need some help from your peers at some point.

7) Lastly and most importantly: Have fun with the course, they tend to be light hearted affairs but they are what you make them so have fun and enjoy!

If you have any other questions about it, post them up here or drop me a PM.

Have fun and good luck.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Juspaul

Juspaul Bit Poster

Thanks for the tips they're great. I've already booked a B&B so we're nearly there.

It says in the 'Workshop information pack' that on the second day you take mock exams and if you pass you can go right on to the real thing, Is that on the day?

Certifications: C&G Print Origination
    WIP: A+, CIW
  4. Gingerdave

I didnt do the essentials section there, I did it when they were still down in Hagley so I dont know for certain, they didnt on my essentials, but on the technican course we did the mock on day 1 and the exam on day 2. If they are saying the mock on day 2 then I doubt you will sit the real exam as they need about 24 hours notice to get the exams downloaded and set up. easiest way to find out is email the mentor team and they will answer for you.

Good Luck

5. DAVID ARROWSMITH

DAVID ARROWSMITH Nibble Poster

is that kam bains at advent who used to be a tutor at computeach. if so what a great guy who always has a laugh and if i remember rightly talks a bit like joe pasquale

Certifications: a plus
    WIP: exam 70-620 windows vista
  6. Gingerdave

Thats the guy! he was my tutor the the technitican half of the A+

7. Anykey

Anykey New Member

I was wondering where all the Advent students hang out, (At home i guess seen as it is a home learning school)

Kam is great at Advent, you can learn alot from him

Tips for Kidderminster:

1) Don't follow SatNav it takes you round in circles, when you get onto Green Street there is a turning on your left that looks like it's going no-where thats where you want to go (You'll know what i mean when you get there)

2) There's loads of parking dedicated to advent students, i got there half hour late (Damn Sat-Nav) and still got a space

3) The food there is great, much better than the Hagley Food

Anykey

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA, MCSE