ADVENT - A+, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Nightburner, Mar 12, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good to get that insight - I appreciate it! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

No problem ! :D

Try typing Data Analyst into a job site, in london rates range from £15-£50 ph depending on what they define as a data analyst, some are high level DBA/Architect/Business Intelligence roles, others are just above data entry clerk.

Heres an example :-

http://www.jobserve.com/W74CE8D2115E82421.job

3. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

4. richardw

richardw Nibble Poster

Why do people think that they can spend a year or less doing some 'training' & then walk into high level jobs, that someone with a 3 or 4 year degree cant get?

A degree in the UK will leave you with about £10k of tuition fee loans to pay back after 3 years, plus living expenses. The university also receives funding from the government. So there is no way an organisation can provide the same level of education & experience for less than £10k, & still make a profit from you.

All our IT people are educated to at least degree level, with our web & db ones having masters.

Certifications: MOS (Master), MMI
    WIP: MCAS, AAT
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Because there is a big myth that IT is a gateway to riches and people these days are greedy, so these training companies play on that greed with a load of BS

I want to do IT as my job because I like it not because I believe I will get good money, when I was at uni they fed us with BS that we would get a good paid job right from the off but only some people are lucky enough but most are not.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. richardw

richardw Nibble Poster

Ive done my IT stuff at a uni, that does courses for anyone, not just full-time degrees.
    eg. MOS is cheaper doing it with them than with a training company, & im sure it looks better on a cv that youve done it at somewhere people will recognise & understand.

Not to be rude, but as the saying goes 'it takes two to tango'
    If you want to get from A to B, you have to know where A & B are, & also how to get there.
    People seem to be forgetting to look up the 'how' part.
    If you want to be a medical doctor, you look up medical schools, if you want to do an MS qualification, look it up on the MS site.
    Can even enquire at your local college/uni about what they do.

Certifications: MOS (Master), MMI
    WIP: MCAS, AAT
  7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I have to agree, these 'training providers' have some very strange ideas about how to teach IT, I know someone whos been doing an MCAD in VB .Net, they don't teach the VB course until after you have the MCAD ! Bonkers, talk about cart before horse...

A+ and MCDST are not prerequisites for DBA work although they do teach some good general stuff. A more sensible couple of intro courses before a SQL Server MCITP might be Access/Excell and MOSS/MCAS.

This is the sort of thing that good diplomas and degrees teach in the first year, they tend to lay a broad foundation on computing that covers most of the A+, CIW foundation and MOSS materials.