Advantages of Developer and Sys Admin

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by sweetpea80, Sep 5, 2009.

1. sweetpea80

sweetpea80 New Member

Hi

I know this is comparing between a Swat team and a commando squad, they do different things. I think developers have a leading edge in creating their own business and products , especially in times of recessions while Sys Admin is in charge of keeping things up and running so that the developers can do their work.

I was told developers can do sysadmin and programming but sys admins can only do their job and cannot switch to the developer side as they need to be trained in the language and object-orientated programming and SDLC. Developers are highly paid too.

Just expressing my concerns about the differences between the two vocations and there are pros and cons to each job. Please feel free to disagree. I am kinda lost in which IT job benefits the most. :(

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Its not what benefits you the most its what you enjoy more.

First of all you wont become a sys admin or developer overnight so you got to be prepared to do all the nitty gritty jobs first too - thats another factor.

A sys admin will more likely as you say be involved in hardware and a developer in software but you will often find sys admins being a jack of all trades (ok not to the level to push out software but they can program!)

If you choosing for the money then i think IT will be a big shock cause in these times its a long road to riches.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Actually some of the worst networks I have seen have been put together by developers as they think they can do networking.

If you work for a small-medium sized company you can do both (I did a few years back) but in the long run you are probably best deciding which path you want to take.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I'm not entirely sure that a developer would be able to do a sysadmin job. They think very differently, and most of them that I have seen, don't really understand or care for the portion of "managing" a system, which also may require some people, budgeting skills and more.

Two different worlds, but that's just the way I've seen it after working for companies with development teams that consist at times of over a thousand members...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM