Adobe Acrobat.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Samuel1, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Samuel1

Samuel1 Bit Poster

Can anyone help me understand what is it about modern applications like Adobe Acrobat that are so horridly slow?

I am browsing a rather large PDF, 150MB, OCR'd, and whenever I hit page-down, there is a noticable delay of about 1 to 2 seconds between page refreshes, and the page thumbnails take a while to appear on the screen. Sure, it's a big PDF, but this computer isn't slow by any stretch of the imagination, and it's like this on ANY computer I've ever used, even faster ones!

This particular system is running Windows Vista SP2 Ultimate x64, Quad Core Intel Q9450 (2.66GHz), NVIDIA GTX280, 8GB of RAM, Raptor X (10k RPM drive).

So, I have to ask -- what's the holdup? What is it about the programming of that software that can cause such a powerful system to have any kind of delay when browsing something that is independent of an Internet connection?

=) Thanks!

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You could try the FoxIt reader or Nitro reader.

Ram and processor would be the normal bottlenecks for such an application if coded correctly. Expect its something else though.

Few ideas here :-
    http://superuser.com/questions/2578...t-scroll-so-slowly-and-what-can-i-do-about-it

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    dales likes this.
  3. Denver Maxwell

Denver Maxwell Nibble Poster

Are you using a standard desktop or a RDC / Terminal Server Connection?
    RDC suffers Screen Scrape with bitmap images (to do with compression of data ect) If you are using an RDC connection it matters very little how good your PC's, things can be optimised however its not so easy.

If its just a local PC' it could be graphics card / drivers / massive screen resolution.

Alternativly it could just be bad programing or a massivly high resolution scan.....

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
    WIP: Prince 2? CCENT? mmm donno
  4. Samuel1

Samuel1 Bit Poster

Thanks for your replies!

It's just a standard desktop environment. No RDP/VNC.

So, assuming it is a bad programming job, which is what I suspect (just try and leave Acrobat running overnight and see if it survives the next day without crashing!) -- what kinds of code makes things so slow? Even if it is a CPU thing, it's running at 2.66GHz *per core*, so, just one core alone should be way more than sufficient to handle a PDF... shouldn't it? The RAM, there's plenty of it, and it's very fast.

I just don't get how a simple desktop application could ever hesitate given such a powerful underlying operating system.

As for Foxit, that's true. And I probably will change programs at some point, but this is an exercise in curiosity -- I just don't understand this, but I'd like to!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  5. Denver Maxwell

I suspect that its a super high resolution scan. how many pages in that 150mb pdf? 150mb jpeg would bloat to a few GB bitmap.

Print the PDF to a new PDF with a 70 dpi and see what size it comes out at and how it performs.

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
  6. Samuel1

Samuel1 Bit Poster

Probably 300DPI, I'd guess. 2,255 pages! They were originally TIF's which I converted to one enormous PDF. =) So what's the bottleneck? The CPU? RAM? Do I need some kind of 16 core system with 32 gigs of RAM to smoothly navigate a 150MB PDF?

Doesn't that seem a little silly to anyone?

7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

8GB of RAM is more than enough to deal with a 150 MB document, but I doubt Acrobat is coded to deal with such large documents well.

Such workloads are not uncommon in video or image processing.

8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

As dmarsh has suggested you could try foxit, thats my preferred pdf reader of choice, why it takes adobe a couple of hundred megs of installed space to do what foxit can do in twenty I'll never know. Also acrobat is the swiss cheese of pdf readers in regards to security, I rip it out where ever I see it and install foxit instead.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  9. Denver Maxwell

TIF's, multi layerd, lots of maths, lol did you try and re=print it, ive done this a number of times with PDF's that were created from TIF files, (4kb ones at that).

10. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Actually it is TIFF. Yes TIFF's can be multiple sections but they don't have to be, my understanding was that this was for storing scanned documents in one TIFF file. Also it is not clear if the images are still TIFF after the import into PDF, how were they added ?

TIFF can be compressed which might be the issue.

Tagged Image File Format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011