Adminstrator Password / Dual Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by nXPLOSi, Nov 2, 2007.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

Need a little help with this, I have done a few searches on our favourite friend google but struggling to find what I *think* im looking for.

Basically a friend of mine had a few corrupt Windows files, and decided to install XP Home again, so now has a duel booting XP's. I didn't really fancy going over her house (long story, lol :dry) so I suggested using the recovery disk to repair the original XP installation. She said it asks her for the administrator password, and she doesn't know it because she didn't setup the computer in the first place. Im aware that there are password reset disks for this sort of thing, but dont have one, any suggestions where I could get my hands on one?

Also, once that problem is fixed, I need to take off the second installation of XP so its single booting into the original one, how would I go about doing that?

Sorry if this seems simple, I have little experience in this type of troubleshooting. :blink

Cheers :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am sure pressing ESC bypasses the admin password when Windows boots.

Another suggestion is to boot one in safe mode then try to remove the admin password in Users in the control panel

or

She could try booting from the disk and removing one version and changing it that way

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

If it's home addtion tell her/him to just press enter when asked for the password

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Regarding the two choices of windows xp home at boot up, you can fix that by modifying the boot.ini file at the root of C: drive. There would be 2 entries where you will have to delete the correct one, and specify the correct disk, partition on the other remaining entry.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

Why are you trying to reapir the original, why not move the files accross to the new one?

i assume the standard passwords have been tried

administrator
    password
    [blank]

could try contacting the person who set the computer up

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys, the original version has all her bits installed on it, and just seemed a much easier fix then using the new installation. She's assured me she's tried all the standard passwords with no luck. I did tell her to just press enter when it asks for a password, but she said that didn't work, no idea if she's doing what im asking her to in all honesty though. Looks like I may have to go round there myself and have ago. :(

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

So she re-installed XP, but selected a new install rather than an upgrade or the repair option when prompted?

Do you know which files are corrupted? As she has done a new install, there should be 2 system-folder locations - how about enter the new OS and copying the required files over to the old copy of the OS - that may help.

As for settings etc., if the above doesn't work, how about importing her profile into the new OS. Shortcuts will still point to the same places and all her settings should be similar.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Yeah, exactly.

Im not sure on which files are corrupted, but that is an idea you have there. I've managed to get my hands on a admin password changer boot disk, so im going to try blanking out password and repairing the first installation. Failing that I will go for your advise, thanks very much! :biggrin

9. runiu

runiu Nibble Poster

Use that CD...boot from it...there are few tools to remove the password for administrator

Certifications: A+, MCTS: Vista
    WIP: MCITP
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the original install still playing up? Sounds like the second install is completely independent therefore there will still be issues with the original install.

Why not boot up the original install, get into Windows and type sfc \scannow at the run line. You should get a prompt for the Windows XP disk and then it will repair the windows system files.

Reboot and try the original install, if all is well, reconfigure the boot.ini file as already mentioned and then delete the second Windows directory. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs