Adding Hardware to An ESX Host

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Luddym, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

An odd question really.

We run our VM setup a little different than alot of people.

We have two ESX hosts, and one Virtual Centre Server. The Virtual machines within ESX host A are replicated using Vreplicator, to ESX host B. All virtual machines, (and everything else) is stored on local drives within the servers themselves.

We have two MSA's to attach physically (networking them isn't an option), one for each ESX Host, but being VMKernal I'm guessing I cant just attach them and hope they will be recognised. Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to do this?

Thanks in advance guys.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Do the systems already have FC cards in them? or are these iSCSI MSAs?
    You should be able to shut down the ESX box, put in the FC card
    connect it all to the switches in the back of the MSA (im assuming you are using those)
    Power up the systems again, then configure the storage options in Virtual Center (select the ESX Host then click the Configuration tab)

Unless you mess around with Zoning on the MSA switch (which you should really) then there is not much more to it, MSAs used to just present everything to everything unless directed otherwise (it wasnt a good thing trust me) if thats changed, carving up the storage on the MSA and presenting it to the ESX box via either WWN or port zoning is all you need to do on the MSA

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0