AD

Discussion in 'Software' started by ManicD, Apr 23, 2008.

1. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

Ok, i have a situation where i have many users and they have a group policy applied to them.
    then i have a lot of Workstations and they have GPO's on them

now i have another smaller set of laptops in a seperate folder in AD, i want to create unique group policies for these.

My problem is, that when a user logs onto these laptops, the GPO applied to the users, is carried over and affect their use of the laptops. Now i want to give the users of teh laptops full permissions to do pretty much anything. But when the user returns to using a workstation, i need the users GPO to kick back in.

Is there a way of Blocking the user GPO from affecting the user when they use these laptops?

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I dont believe so, although I have limited knowledge of the GPO.

Could you not just lock down the admin rights from the machin GPO in the workstation area, and specifically add the user (or the generic users group) to the local admin group in the laptop GPO

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You might be able to do this with loopback group policy. Ive had to do this before when a user logged onto terminal server (major lock down) but needed to log onto a desktop PC as well (not so much lock down). :biggrin

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231287

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs