AD + DC Take Two

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Mr.Cheeks, Sep 10, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Windows 200 Server
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
    Windows 2003 Server (Standard)
    Windows 2003 Server (Enterprise)
    Windows 2003 Server (DataCentre)

Not forgetting the 2k and 2k3 SBS versions. 8)

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Windows 2000 Server is my next go.

Wish me luck

3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

It could just be a case of a damaged disc, or a problem with the burn process when the disc was created.

I have had similar problems with workstation installs, in that it keeps failing on one file, a good old polish of the CD has normally resolved the issue.

Try giving the disc a GOOD clean, if that does'nt work try another copy of the OS. If your burning it from an ISO/Image etc, try a slower burn speed.

Hope this helps

Nelix

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  4. Mr.Cheeks

I was just thinking it may be the cd at fault, no scratches on it...

5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

The disc that I was having problems with only had the very slightest, faintest finger smudge on it. Give it a clean and have a go, if that does not work burn it again at a lower speed.

Keep us informed.

Nelix

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Cheek,

reinstall the server, once logged on goto the server roles and then pick 'typical first role' for the server and it will do the DNS and the AD.

If it bombs after that then it might be a dodgey disc. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

TheCheekMaster,

Do you understand the heirarchial nature of DNS?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Not really no... im just faffing around as usual.... guess you gonna tell me huh :biggrin

9. Mr.Cheeks

Domain Controller (Active Directory) Yes
    DNS Server Yes

Was my first cd dodgy??? Hell Yeah!

10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Phew! :cheeseyg

11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

TheCheekMaster,

Yes, I'm gonna tell you. :) I got to thinking about "Remember my old DNS name? domain.test.vmc" you mentioned in your OP.

[Start Telling]

In DNS, in the beginning, there is the root domain called '.' The DNS server for '.' knows the DNS servers for everything else, e.g. ".uk.", ".com.", and ".org."

The DNS server for ".uk." knows the DNS servers for co.uk., org.uk., and .me.uk. .

The DNS server for ".co.uk." knows the DNS server for certforums.co.uk.

Notice the pattern that the far right of a domain name is "higher" than those to the left of the domain name. So "co" is the subdomain of ".uk." And "certforums" is a subdomain to ".co.uk."

[End telling]

When you mentioned "domain.test.vmc" it got me wondering. Let's say somehow the "vnc" domain was recognized by the '.' DNS root and the "domain root DNS server" exists. So that ".vmc." DNS server is supposed to know where the "test" domain's DNS server is located. The "test" domain DNS server is supposed to know where the "domain" domain's DNS server is located. Here's why I was wondering if you understood DNS. If you're trying to install the DNS server for "domain.test.vmc", then that DNS server needs to register itself with the "test.vmc" DNS server to say "Hey, if you receive any DNS requests for 'domain.test.vmc', then here I am!" Your problems trying to install the DNS server for the "domain.test.vmc" may be because your server was trying to communicate with the root DNS server for "test.vmc" but without success. So why not try to install the DNS server for "test.vmc" only instead of "domain.test.vmc?"

From what I learned about Windows 2000 Server, the first Domain Controller for the Forest root must be a DNS Server. A forest is a group of trees. An example of a forest is the merged company of DaimlerChrysler, with the Daimler-Benz tree and the Chrysler tree. A tree is a group of domains. Since I'm not that familiar with the Daimler-Benz subdivision, I'll use Chrysler examples. So within the Chrysler tree, there are the domains chrysler.com, dodge.com, and jeep.com. Welcome to a quickie lesson on Active Directory which requires a DNS heirarchy.

In conclusion, instead of using "domain.test.vmc" try "test.vmc" for your very first Domain Controller.

I hope this helps.

12. Mr.Cheeks

R.H.Lee

Do i have to domote it and then run the process (dcpromo)

13. Mr.Cheeks

Sorry about all of this pestering, but i've got another problem

when i use my win2k pro os to connect to the domain, it says
    cheeks.ad is invalid or does not exist.

i create users and computer (win2k) on the list for users and computers directory on the ad machine...

Any ideas?

14. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Don't be saying sorry for the perstering, thats what we are here for. and it helps take our minds off work for a little while....hehe.

I take it when you say "connect to the domain" you mean that you are trying to join the comp to the domain. I normally find that when you get error messages at this stage, it is usually a DNS issue. do you have both forward and reverse lookup zones created?

15. Mr.Cheeks

errr no... i'll have a look at the dns settings and so some research on it... so in the words of Arnie....

I'll be back!

16. Sparky

Just type in cheeks as the domain. 8)

Do you have DHCP setup on the DC, also is the DNS on your PC pointing to the DC? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  17. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

TheCheekMaster,

Yes, I think that would be a good idea to demote to member server, get the DNS server up and running properly, then try promoting again later.

18. Mr.Cheeks

DHCP has been setup, not sure what you mean by DNS pointing to my DC...

i was reading some MS + other articles on this and it seem i may require a static ip (SGUK mentioned this already), but i wanna understand this static ip business rather than just doing it, without exactly knowing what im doing...

@ Mr Lee - i done that and changed it to cheeks.ad rather than cheeks.ad.vmc (btw cheers for the info)

19. Mr.Cheeks

ok... just figured how i can do the screen shots:

note to self, print screen inside vmc, paste into .jpeg, send over network to local pc, upload to imageshack, give to CF members to resolve...

So, what screen shots would you need to make our lives easier?

20. Sparky

You have to give your server a static I.P and then define your DHCP range.

Here is an example:

Lets say you ADSL Modem\ router has the I.P of 192.168.0.1

Give your server the following I.P details.

I.P 192.168.0.10
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.0.1
    DNS 192.168.0.10

Now define your DHCP range (say 50 I.Ps), make the DNS and WINS settings 192.168.0.10 and finally make the Router (gateway) 192.168.0.1.

On your client PC make sure the LAN is set to dynamic. Check to make sure it has picked up an I.P address from the server. If your router has DHCP make sure it is switched off when you are testing. To tidy up go into DNS and right click on the server, make sure the forwarders are the static I.Ps of your ISPs DNS servers. If you don’t know what they are you will probably be able to get them from your router in the WAN port config.

You can revise the I.Ps depending on what the I.P of ADSL modem\router is.

Hope this helps! :biggrin