AD and backup restore to different harware?

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by supernova, Apr 14, 2010.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

AD and backup restore to different hardware? .. oops typo :oops:

I just wonder if anyone could give any advice or suggest solutions for how to backup data keeping the option open to restore to different hardware?“ shares, user, groups, ous, gpos, files, permissions etc especially server 2003

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Is this for a DR solution?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. supernova

Yes its small very small single server network for a charity based project that totally relies on donated secondhand hardware. I know how i would like to do things however i wonted to see what other people thought especially due to budget restrictions.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

If I were you I would run a vm and have a second DC in that, that way the hardware would stay the same and you could backup\restore as you liked.

One point I would make, ensure you move all the FSMO roles onto the VM otherwise you would have issues trying to restore the VM because you wouldn't have the roles.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Charities! PITA to support :)

Why not look at creating a second DC on a VM? You could run it on a spare workstation if you have one knocking about - just chuck VMWare Server on there and you're good to go. Obviously it needs to be a reasonable spec workstation - running it on an old P2 with 256Mb of RAM isn't going to cut it - but if they've got relatively modern desktops and one is 'spare', I'd go down this route.

You could also back it up regularly to give you some semblance of off-site recoverability

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL

erm... What Simon says

:biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. supernova

Thanks that's pretty much what i wanted to do (as you can see from my other threads), have ESXi on a second machine then DFS-R the shares to have a live backup of the data. Then Image and backup the data on the VM on regular intervals, maybe keeping a image of the old server for quick restore.

8. supernova

Tell me about it!!!

They're sweating when i mentioned getting a HP ML115 G5 , like the ESXi boxes i am used to working with.... there pea nuts.

As you can read from my other threads ESXi is the route i suggested originally. I guess they will just have to bite the bullet!

9. supernova

I was actually thinking of adding more memory to a P4 and running Vmware server via Linux :oops:

10. Mkid

Mkid Bit Poster

That's similar to the setup of a business I support.

2 ML 110 running Ubuntu Server/VMware server with 1 DC on each ML. As far as backups are concerned, I got A VM with Backup Exec doing daily system backups for the PDC/Schema holder (a bit of an overkill I know :oops:).The backup file is then uploaded via a script to a NAS device.

The linux Machines including the VM's are compressed and ftp'ed to the NAS device via Scripts/Cronjob.

Not elegant I know but works and you do have a relatively solid DR/Backup strategy.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: N+ MCSA
    WIP: Exchange
  11. supernova

Interesting ...

What spec ML110 do you use?
    what sort of network size?

I suppose beefing up a workstation could be a possibility if push came to shove

12. Mkid

Mkid Bit Poster

6 Gigs RAM/2 Core per ML. Coping fine/Reporting 0.5 load average.
    Very small network, 16 people including MD.

How about yours?

13. supernova

Currently 40 users soon to be 50

I believe the old server is a P4 with 2Gb. I would say only about 10-15 people actually use it for storage.
    Most users use mandatory profiles.

you using raid for performance?

14. Mkid

Mkid Bit Poster

No disk redundancy as I have just taken over the position a month ago,I am still trying to workout an overall design but planning on adding some disks for a raid setup (probably once I upgradre to ESXI).

For a production server, a maximum of 2 virtual machines is what I would recommend on a Petium 4 with 2 gigs.

Hope this helps.