Active Directory

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by shocksl, Jan 27, 2012.

1. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

Where could I learn more on how to use the Active Directory?

Most jobs I'm looking at are requiring this!

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I'm guessing you're only doing first line support? If that is the case you have several options:

1. Jump onto Youtube - its the 2nd most popular search engine (after Google). Search how to use Active Directory and you'll have plenty of videos to watch.
    2. If you prefer hands on, make a lab, get the trial of Server 2003/2008 and set up your own domain controller - you can play and get familiar.
    3. There is an AD certification, buying the book may help - although it may be too complicated and is more Server Admin based than 1st line support.
    4. I read on here recently that the 70-290 certification book has a good introduction on AD, although I haven't used/seen it.

Hope that helps.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. TechTock

TechTock Byte Poster

Install some virtualisation software like Virtualbox (free) which will allow you to install different operating systems on your PC/laptop without the worry of messing your PC/laptop's OS up. Then download a Windows 2008R2 trial copy and install it using Virtualbox and buy a good book on AD to learn from. Another thing to suggest is buying some traing software from Trainsignal or CBT Nuggets which are both good but a little expensive.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician | PRINCE2 Foundation | VCP5
    WIP: Having a rest :-)