ACL Help please

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by zimbo, Nov 1, 2008.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

You can ad more lines in either extended or standard ACLs mate.
    Depending where you must place the ACL you may have to create two separate ACLs one for IN (inbound) other for OUT (outbound).
    You can have an extended ACL for the inbound traffic and a standard ACL for the outbound traffic.

Hope it answers your question mate.

Best of luck.

Albert, C

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Two: one in, one out.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

Given these requirements:
    1 - Students can reach PC2 and PC3 in Admin network
    2 - Students should not be able to reach any other hosts in Admin network
    3 - Any Admin host should be able to reach any Student host

Strictly speaking, none of the access-lists shown will work properly. You will need to use the "established" keyword, or a reflexive access-list. Requirement 2, above, will prevent any Admin host from establishing a connection to a Student host because it will prevent any traffic from Student to Admin networks. Admin hosts (except PC2 and PC3) will be unable to get a response to ping or establish a tcp connection to any Student host (although Admin hosts could spam icmp and udp, assuming they don't mind not getting a response back).

Established or reflexive access-lists might be a bit more advanced topic than the intention of the design exercise, in which case ignore it, but it is good to know that tcp will not work, assuming I have the requirements correct! :)

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  4. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

You are right kevicho but I was told at college to place it manually just to be on the safe side so force of habit I'd say.

spice-wisel got to read about those reflexive access-list, thanks for spreading the sead in my mind lol

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+