Acer Travelmate 5720

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elli5on, Jan 22, 2009.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Does anyone know where the CMOS battery is on this particular laptop???

Cheers

Ellison

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Any ideas? Would be very grateful if anyone knew where i need to be looking.

Cheers

Craig

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

ooh, I would have thought you would have to get the screwdrivers out for that Craig.

Don't think the Acer site will give you any manuals, although a quick Google revealed this for a similar model.

Good luck!

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Ive already had the back off and had a look inside, But cannot for the life of me find the CMOS battery i need to unplug to reset the BIOS. Shame really, The guy has forgotten his BIOS password.

Guees i will have to tell him to have another look inside and see what he cannot. Am i to presume the battery will be connected to a similar type of loose wire in the picture you have sent me???

Regards

Craig

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I did a Google search yesterday and came back empty. The Travelmate 5720 user manual, which is the only documentation I could locate, says to send the unit in to an authorized repair center... not an acceptable solution for techies like us! Unfortunately, Acer doesn't give you step-by-step instructions for disassembling your computer like Dell does... I can take replace ANYTHING in my Dell laptop.

Sorry, Craig... wish I had something more for you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Most Acer laptops have the CMOS battery in a bit of blue heatshrink plastic with a little two pin plug onto the mainboard. It's Acer's policy not to release service manuals to the public. If you didn't find the CMOS battery on the bottom of the mainboard I would whip the keyboard off and you will probably find it on the top.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  7. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi there, dont know if this will help

http://www.laptop-repair.info/acer_bios_password.html

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  8. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hi folks, Found a CMOS looking battery in a blue wrapper seal. Removed this and still having the same problem. Can only presume this was the incorrect CMOS battery, Or ive just un plugged something totally different.

Thanks for all your help anyway folks

Craig

9. nimp

nimp New Member

found the battery its on the front left you have to pull the hole thing apart the it is by the hard drive on the left side under a piece of blackish plastic static gard i am just wondering if i do pull the battery and leave it out for the 30 mins that i have read to do will it wipe the password or just change it to some default acer password????