Acer Aspire M3201 # AMD Phenom X4 9150e quad-core processor # (1.8GHz, 2MB Cache)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HMSPresident, Jan 22, 2009.

1. HMSPresident

HMSPresident Bit Poster

Hi all,

what do people think of this machine from PC-World?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/423915

I found a post on here about the Phenom processors getting a bad rep, basically because the Intel Core 2 Duo's are easier to overclock.. But i'm not at the stage that I want to mess around trying to overclock anything.

Would there actually be any difference between this and a similarly priced Intel Core 2 Duo? Is the 'quad-core' aspect all just hype?

I'm not looking to run any new games or anything (got an X-Box 360 for that), but I would like something powerful enough to run a few virtual machines, and possibly to leave running as a home-server..

Thanks in advance!!

Certifications: See sig..
    WIP: BCMSN
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have to say that I have the Phenom X4 2.4Ghz chip and that runs quite nicely (I do like AMD chips as well as Intel ones). PC seems ok, however I would try to look elsewhere as that price I believe is a bit on the expensive side (just see dabs, they have a C2Q 2.4Ghz for £15 more).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nothing wrong with Phenoms, at all. You just don't tend to get the same bang for the buck with them as you do with C2Ds, overclocking or not. If you've found a reasonable price on a Phenom box, then it's certainly worth considering.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!