Problem Acer Aspire Laptop screen gone black

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jvanassen, Apr 21, 2012.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Im currently looking at a neighbours laptop for them, where the display has gone black but if you look very closely you can see that the computer is loading up, you can just about see the display in the background. I've plugged an external monitor into the laptop and it worked fine so that led me to believe it was definitely something to do with the LCD screen itself. From previous experience with this sort of problem ive replaced a part in the screen called the inverter before. As this is what i have been told is normally the problem.

So ive ordered a inverter for this Acer Aspire laptop and still not luck, the screen is still black and you can just about see the display in the background. This leaves me to believe and through research on google that is the actual backlight thats gone, which ive been told is very tricky to replace and im better off just replacing the whole LCD screen.

Is there anything else i should be trying before telling my neighbour i will have to order them a whole new screen. Ive seen you can pick them up off ebay for this specific laptop for around £40.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

not that i know of. Sounds like the backlight.

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

+1 sounds like the back light. they could cut out the lid and hold it up to a window if they want to save money though LOL
    £40 is a lot cheaper than a new latop and the time to move all the files across. Im sure your neighbour would apprectiate the help regardless

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  4. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the re-asurrance, just didn't want to order a screen then it possibly not be that and look like a plum. Cant think of anything else it could possibly be though considering it works fine with an external monitor.

Have gave him two options, any old screen for £40 or there are some auctions which say they will send you a screen from a top supplier such as LG, Samsung etc for £70. So have left that option up to him because the faulty screen has a Samsung badge onit

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  5. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

You will need to check the model number on the back of the LCD screen to make sure the new screen you are buying is the same. Just because the laptop is the same does not mean the same LCD screen make/model has been used.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
    Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA