Accommodation

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Asterix, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi People!
    I was thinking about accommodation costs as it seems to the best part of the cash i earn each month :x
    As a single male with only around 5K of savings it seems impossible to think of being able to get a mortgage on a 1 or 2 bed place in this climate (well in south east UK anyway). My studio flat i am currently renting is about average price for the area (£520 PCM) but once bills, food and Council tax is added on, this is a huge sum each month (about £800) and thats before additional bills (Broadband, car, mobile phone etc)! I was thinking of some different accommodation options that would help me save some cash! I have had some ludicrous ideas such as buying a caravan/motor-home as i have been offered a free piece of private land in a rural area, in exchange for me fending off the true scallies (this does not come across as an attractive offer)! I was trying to drum up some options and compiled the following list:
    1)Carry on spending lots of money at my lovely flat
    2)Move away from the area and the job (i quite like) and buy a house.......... prob up north :cry:
    3)Rent a room in a shared house (doesn't appeal since being a student...... am i still a punk?)
    4)Try and get involved with a part-buy, part-rent house in my area (anyone got experience of this)
    5) Get the Caravan :oops:

Any thoughts/Experiences?

2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

spareroom.co.uk

You don't have too live in some slum shared house. There are plenty of ultra cool people renting rooms in their city centre apartments simply because they have split up with their girlfriends and all sorts. Before I moved I was renting out a room in my place to a trainee accountant, she was a barrel of laughs.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I agree with what Westernkings said, I'm sure mate if you have a good look you will find lots of nice places with really nice people to share with.
    If you have tons of stuff to move then maybe you could store alot of it temporarily at a freinds or familys house?
    I feel the same buddy about sharing a house with a load of students that go out drinking 5 nights a week, getting wrecked in the flat/house first till 11pm everytime and having it smell of alcohol, cider and fags constantly, just the thought of it makes me gag, thats why I share with a 30 year old female student and a 28 year old female student their great people and really mature, I think I'm alot more mature than most people my age and I'm not the party animal type but I still love to go out for a good drink now and again on special occasions just not every single weekend.
    I can say Ive been there and done that and its ruined me financially before going out each weekend and getting so plastered that my heart rate doubles as I check my bank balance the next day after Ive been out on the piss :shocked

Thats one thing I don't miss... or maybe I was just an irresponsible drinker/piss head :D

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

that spareroom site looks interesting, never thought of doing looking for a site like that.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

6. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Ill pass on living in a Church :D

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  7. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

£520 a month does seem alot to be frittering away on someone elses mortgage each month.

You should also contact a few housing associations to see if they maybe have any lets going as these are usually well maintained and cheap. You could also ask if they are building any new developments where thay will be doing shared ownership which you could maybe apply for. Alot of construction companies are now doing deals where they will let you purchase 75% of their property and they keep the other 25% which you can purchase at a later date.

I currently do the shared ownership where i intially purchased 25% of my flate from them and it is in the centre of Edinburgh. I am now looking to buy another 50% of the flat later this year.

I pay my mortgage each month and also pay rent to the housing association, this comes to just under £400. I rent out my spare room for £325 inc council tax.

Sharing a flat isnt always the same as how you may have done it at uni as there is more and more people that cant afford to buy,rent a one bedroom flat or want to stay with their parents.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  8. westernkings

Yea it is a good site, that is how I found someone to rent a room in mine. I wanted to have a bit more money to spare so rented a room, and within days on that site, I had found a really nice person. She paid 450 a month all in, that includes everything, net, housephone everything, so I was obviously about 300 quid a bit better off after losing 150 for 2 peoples usage.

She said she was in the same position as you, didn't want a student hovel with 6 other people.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Great Guys, looks like i should look into puchasing a Part buy/Part rent house, and if this doesnt get approved rend a shared house. Thanks for your help! I was glad to hear no mention of the Caravan :twisted:

10. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Do you still own a gaff in the UK mate whilst living over there?

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  11. westernkings

Rent it out as a houseshare whilst I sell it.:peace