1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About IET and BCS membership and Ceng

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by msl1997, May 18, 2016.

  1. msl1997

    msl1997 New Member

    Dear all,

    I got a B.Sc of electronic since 2000 at part time. I have worked telecommunication industry more than 15 years. And I have a Radio network Engineer more than 5 years. My responsibility was radio network design, product evaluation and development and project management.

    After 2005, I changed to another web hosting company. Now I am a website development manager and online business consultants for 10 years. I need help customers to develop their ecommerce system. Would you mind tell me that can I apply MIET and Chartered Engineer CEng of information technology under IET?

    Or I can apply BCS member and Ceng later. Need I get a Master of Engineer degree?

    I want to know the professional image between MBCS and MIET if I have not Ceng.
    But I feel the professional image of IET better than BCS.

    For apply Ceng, is IET is more difficult than BCS.

    Best Regard
  2. dmarsh

    dmarsh Terabyte Poster

    This is from memory so you should read the facts on their website.

    Yes you can apply for CEng under IET.
    Yes you can also apply for CEng under BCS.

    I don't think anyone will know or care if you get your CEng from BCS or IET.

    Getting CEng seems an overly bureaucratic affair, you need to be on a first name basis with so many other CEng engineers.
    They need to approve / sponsor your application. Your application should contain information that IET or BCS feel is relevant.

    If you no longer do 'real engineering' an IET application may prove difficult.

    A masters is not required once you have over 10 years relevant experience.

    The higher status your credentials, the more you have to pay for professional body membership.
  3. msl1997

    msl1997 New Member

    Thank you for you suggestion
  4. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

    wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

    The other option is to go for the CITP (Chartered IT Professional) status from the BCS instead of the CEng.
    Certifications: CITP, PGDip, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: MSc in Tech Management

Share This Page