AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARSE!!!!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zebulebu, Dec 31, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Glad the problem was sorted so easily. Sorry you yelled first and asked questions later, but I can understand your motivation. Would you consider eating a rather large piece of humble pie and apologizing to the person in question?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

No - because he shouldn't have taken on the job if he didn't know what he was doing. Not even bothering to pay proper attention to the job in hand (run dcdiag, netdiag & sonar, check the lie of the land regarding DNS, run basic checks to see whether services are alive and well etc) prior to undertaking it marks him out as just another in a long, long line of con merchants with MCSEs who don't have a Danny what they're doing. If he can't even impart simple information to me whilst I've got a client screaming obscenities at me down the other end of another phone line - instead of panicking and actually giving me FALSE information then he's a liability. Bear in mind he actually TOLD me he'd removed all the DCs.

Of course I didn't KNOW this when giving him the job in the first place - I'd always assumed he was reasonably technically competent - having worked with him for a couple of months and known him for much longer. You live and learn.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

so is that another person, you are officially stamping with a
    [​IMG]

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

After the guy had made the mistake could he not have just done some basic troubleshooting before calling you?

Another fake MCSE then? I know what you mean though, I had to work with a contractor before Christmas that didnt know what NAT is. This meant 8 hours of downtime for a customer. :rolleyes:

Time for another beer... 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Think he got flustered, realised he was in over his head and just left site telling the client he would call for some extra support. Probably worked out better in the end tbh - otherwise he could have stayed and truly ****ed things up!

What really gets me about things like this is that it ends up seriously damaging the reputation of IT 'bods' in general with clients who don't know any better - all they see is that some berk has gone in there to do what (they think, or are led to believe) is a simple thing and has ended up leaving them without a network for two days. Of course, quite often I'm on the other side of this - having been called in to help out after someone has screwed up, but on this occasion, I was on 'both' sides - being responsible for subcontracting the work out to begin with then going in to fix what was, in essenc, my own mistake :blink

No big damage done in the end - I even got more work out of it as they've decided to invest in an SSL VPN and I'll get the contract to install it. It does open my eyes to the fact that I am definitely not cut out to run my own business employing staff though, and that when I go solo I'll only consult on jobs that I can handle myself. Unless anyone good in the Croydon area is looking for a partner that is - and can put up with my s*** :twisted:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'll give you a shout when I become vaguely competent :wink: in a decade or so

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

In all fairness Zeb, how did you know about this person's technical know how you sub-contracted the job to in the first place:)

Well, most people that land a job don't necessarily always know it all. Take for instance just yesterday I was asked at work by our "senior systems engineer" on how to get to our scripts on the network via run i.e \\zeb-dc1\sysvol etc. He was typing \\sysvol$\ and getting an error message.

In respect to my senior colleague he is very intelligent and technical as he supports well over fifty servers and not to even mention our new SAN system which he hasn't officially been given a training on.

He was only shown stuff on the SAN by an HP consultant for a few hours and he is doing a pretty job of it for well over five months now.

All it was boiled down to was a brain fart, just forgotten because it's not a path on the network he accesses frequently.

On the other hand it's best to look stupid for five minutes by asking a question and then know it next time without remembering someone taught you were stupid five minutes ago:).

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Wow, that is some serious incident Zeb, you didn't know, it happens to us all and speaking from experience smiliar incident happen to me, of course it wasn't to the same severity as this case. From my personal experience, the best thing to do is live and learn I guess. I realised that in order for me to trust someone to do work on my behalf would me I would need to know pretty well as to what they're capable. Good think you were able to diagnose and fix this issue pretty quicly.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Sparky

Thats just a typo at the end of the day, its not like the guy deleted a DC by mistake. :biggrin

Questions are good, best to ask when you are unsure about a major infrastructure change which is what this chap was doing.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

True but am sure you get the gist:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"but change every client's settings to resolve using ONLY DC2 by removing DC1's address from the resolvers on each client"

Now that guy, is obviously very good at what he does. :eek:

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  12. Sparky

So going back to the original problem if the chap had justed restarted the netlogon service or even just rebooted the DC then DC2 would not have been getting used.

See how one person being lazy can cause major drama for everyone else!! :rolleyes:

13. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

1st thing anyone should do, is a reboot! reboot fixes soooo many problems!

14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Reminds me of one of my favourite Dilbert strips...

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA