A Word of Warning re: TV Ads

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Phoenix, Dec 30, 2005.

1. SN0WMAN

SN0WMAN Bit Poster

Think ive just made my mind up about a certain IT training company beginiing with C and saved myself 5 grand.

Certifications: none
    WIP: A+ then maybe mcp + msce
  2. SolidSponge

SolidSponge Bit Poster

Amen brother!! :D
    I know exactly who you are referring to! I made the mistake of ringing these people and having them send a sales person down to discuss this more. I knew that if I did take the courses with these people it would take time and effort. Anyway, to cut a long story short I ending up paying 5K to do my A+ and MCSE with these people. I can honestly say I wouldn't recommend them to anyone! I got told there would be 24 hour support for when I need it and I could study in my own time. As I work full time and weekends this really appealed to me. Surprise surprise this was absolute rubbish! No 24 hour support (basically 9 - 5 when myself and everyone else are usually at work) and I have a 2 year deadline, which if I don't meet I have to pay more money to get so called 'support' from these guys!
    All I can say, if people are thinking of going with these idiots, save your money and purchase the books and exams yourself.

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-290
  3. Tegal

Tegal Bit Poster

I think I can guess which TV adverts you are talking about. I saw them (also got fliers thru the door) and asked for further info and a rep came to visit. He was very slick seemed to have all the answers, but that just made me cautious. Plus £4K+ is a lot of cash to hand over, even though he said this could be made in monthly payments over 3 (!!) years. Also took them a long time to get back to me - 2 months or so before I knew they'd even got my reply.

Went on the internet and found a different company. They seem to be offering a similar deal at less than 1/2 the price (£1400 ish including exams for MCSA, N+ and A+, 24 months unlimited online access to their training resources, 70% discount if I need longer). They called me the next day to follow up my interest, the guy I spoke to was one of their trainers not a salesman. I did ask him how come their price was so much less and to give him credit he was very diplomatic, at first he sited advertising and salesmen as additional overheads, but when I pushed him he was obviously uncomfortable and said he wasn't happy talking about even a competitor in a manner which could reflect negatively on them - bonus points there in my book.

The salesman who called did try to get me to sign up there and then, and tried to put on the pressure, and I'm afraid I don't respond very well to that regardless of the subject matter. The guy on the phone said I can start when I like and to take my time over the decision.

I've still not made it. Comments on this thread are giving me food for thought, though I still want to get more into IT. But I at least know which of these companies I would go for. I just don't know if the self-study route is the right way for me to go.

It's good to hear other peoples comments. Does anyone have a positive experience to relate to balance some of these?

Certifications: BEng, MCP
    WIP: MCSA
  4. Tegal

Tegal Bit Poster

Following my last post, this question occurs to me -

If there is such a wide difference in cost for MCSA/E, and taking into consideration the comments made about market saturation, just how much is the MCSA/E worth in monetary terms?

I realise that this is very subjective and there are a load of factors that would affect the answer, maybe it's too undefined a question, but for those of you with these qualifications - how much would you say they are worth today?

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I can't answer that as I live in Oz and I work for myself. Having said that, the MCSE has not made a positive improvement to my income. I was earning more than twice as much before I dedicated myself to IT and I had a company car :ohmy However I enjoy my work much more and the knowledge I now have is invaluable to me.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The certification itself? Worthless

The knowledge? Priceless

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. Tegal

Tegal Bit Poster

I guess what i meant was - do you think that £1400 is a worthy sum for self-study and exams?

Trying to get a feel for what is a reasonable sum, given the subject at the start of this thread.

8. Bogster

Bogster New Member

I can say as a complete newbie who has been to all of these (TV advertised and otherwise companies) that they all offer (more or less) a guarantee of at least £18k and be placed in a job with relatively little effort from yourself upon succesful completion of a course and they all want around £5/6k for the pleasure of this guarantee...
    Has anybody actually done one of these courses and been placed in a job with this sort of salary?

Certifications: None in IT
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  9. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Yes and no...

I'm with NITLC and I got my current job (albeit off my own back) even before I'd passed my A+ because the guy (now my boss) was impressed with my level of committment. I started at 16k, going up to 18k when I complete a six month probationary period (next month). Hopefully, by the time I've got my MCSE I'll be earning way over that. So although NITLC didn't get me my job, I got it because of them. I personally have yet to use their recruitment service but they have some very satisfied people on their message boards. A lot of people seem to have benefitted from a CV rewrite, and they run regular interview skills workshops which get good talk ups aswell.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  10. Pilly

Pilly New Member

And I'm glad I found it, I was talking to one the TV advertisers yesterday who quoted me £2100 for MCSE and £2900 for MCSA and talked of salaries of 40-50k. :rolleyes:

I don't mind splashing out that kinda dosh if I know that there will be something at the end of it other than misery and an empty bank account.

So who do you trust to help you launch your new career ?

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thats doesnt make sense! because half the mcse is mcsa! so they just charging you the same for both! :eek: look at self-study mate! much much cheaper!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics