A Wonderful message

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Rosy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Just received the following message in a "Happy New Year" email and wanted to share it with you guys:

A Wonderful Message
    by George Carlin

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbour. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember, spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember, to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak, and give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

now thats a tear jerker...:cry:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

That holds a lot of truth, especially in the UK anyway.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

not really
    i disagree with a fair few of this guys comments, but feel alot of them are spot on, seems like its the view of one of the 'narrower' viewpoints he talks about, one needs to open there eyes and realise not everybody smokes to much, drinks to much and laughs to little
    not every has more degrees and less sense
    and as a whole we communicate more just using less per medium, as we have so many more mediums to choose from
    we still visit friends family and talk to the guy next door, and we still have the folks that never leave the house and watch from afar, the world has always existed like that, and it always will

you get alot of this kind of messages at this time of year, and for the most part they dont really paint an accurate picture of the world, its actually a very cynical look upon life for the new year if you ask me

anyway, just my 2p

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Thanks a lot Rosy, certainly makes you think.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Its more of a generalisation and based on your own experience some you will feel untrue, if this person where here reading your message maybe he could argue your point.

Without debating the topic to far and distracting from the original nature, I'd rather just thank Rosy for taking the time to make the post as its clear she holds some of his writing important enough to share with the rest of us.

Thanks Rosy.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Yup no problem with Rosys posting at all :)
    Sorry if that wasn't clear guys :)

8. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

I hear your words Phoenix (nice Av by the way - almost didn't recognise you! :oops: ) but for me the message is more of a reminder of how the world can seem at times and to remind us to be grateful of the things that are really important in life.

I just thought that the words were very touching n wanted to share them with you all, especially with recent events in the world.

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

i definatly aggree with you on that rosy
    I see your reasons for posting, and apologise for getting side tracked :)

i almost didnt recognise myself with my new AV :)

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

That is one of the most touchingly beautiful things I've ever read, and as I sit here at work reading this for the first time, I just want to be at home now to do just that with my little daughter.

Thanks for bringing us that, Rosy...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

yup and its not just applicable to younger family members
    if you have any people working under you, who are inspired by the way you work / knowledge you have, remember that they are not just the 'idiot peons beneath you' but people you inspire with your actions and skills, remember to give them a good word and always credit them for thier actions/achievements

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

George Carlin seems to have mellowed with age. I remember him talking about the seven words you can never say on television (I think you can say most of them now) and jokes about "Toledo Window Box" (marijuana). Oh well...it was such a long time ago. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+