A+ v's Microsoft / Cisco / Juniper certification

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by broze, Jan 27, 2007.

1. broze

broze New Member

Hello, Im after getting into the career of IT, problem is I dont know where to start, Ive asked a lot of people on other forums and word of mouth and many have reccomended the A+ and N+ courses, and others have reccomended the 'Microsoft / Cisco / Juniper certification' instead.

Problem is, I was under the impression that the A+ was the one to go for to start me off, Im 28 and dont really want to spend the next five years or so at uni etc. Any suggestions which one is the best course to take?

Also somebody also suggested this (Quote from what they suggested): -

"I wouldn't bother with A+ / Network+ unless you want to work in the states.

Look at Microsoft / Cisco / Juniper certification... Paperwork from one of these will be worth a lot more than the CompTIA exams.

Look at the following..

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/a+ certification.do

and

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/ccna.do

Just look at the "Matching Permament IT Jobs" figures between the two."

I havnt got a clue when it comes to this, but after reading them two links it does sound like the 'Microsoft / Cisco / Juniper certification' are the ebst to go for?

What would you reccomend?

Sorry if ive posted this in the wrong section. :)

Certifications: None as yet
    WIP: Unsure
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I’m my opinion the wage exceptions are absolute crap on what you have posted......

In regard to certs go for the A+, N+ and then either the MCDST cert or the 70-270 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi,

Whats your experience with computers? Can you put one together or make general repairs to one? Thats more or less the A+ certificate. The A+ and Network+ are very repected certifications and thats rubbish that they only got value if you in the US.

There is no way you will be able to start off the CCNA or MCSE from your position right now thats why it would be better to do the A+ and N+ first and get a good solid foundation before emarking on these much higher level certs. Also take the figures for salaries with a pinch of salt (£21k for an A+???) :eek: To succed in IT you need to have a passion for it and not to be in it for money - keep that in mind cause when you looking for the first job you will remember that. Also 28 isnt old - these certs arent easy and the MCSE might take you 2 years alone to complete!

Have a look at the A+ forum and give that ago...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Note that Cisco and Juniper are specific to those companies, Great if that is your job, not so good if it isn't.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. broze

broze New Member

Hello, thanks for your replys!

Basically all im after is the right course to start me off without me forking out for the wrong one and then realising afterwards it still wouldnt help me to find a job in I.U, then i hope to work my way up form there, dont want to run before i can walk.

My experience with computers is fairly good i suppose, (more of a hobby) when i was a kid i often took them to bits, (but didnt always put them back together right, but i sussed it out in the end). :lol: other than that i got a gcse in school with it and then a GNVQ level one / intermediate in college before i had to leave due to work and other things. Im able to upgrade them, ie: new memory, cd /dvd drives etc, not experienced with networks at all though, I am able to take apart a pc and put it together again and suppose i could build one from scratch if its as easy as taking one to pieces. But as ive never done I.T as a job I am thinking of going for a course in it to help me get a fairly decent job, thats it basically.

Question is i havnt a clue what course to go for.

Certifications: None as yet
    WIP: Unsure
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

A+ then Network+... then take it from there...

Give this and this a read...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My advice from what you have said is the same as the others here - go for CompTIA *globally recognised* more importantly, *vendor neutral*, never expiring A+ This is an entry level cert which is absolutely doable with self study and it will give you a rock solid foundation to build the rest of your studies on. Miss this step out and you will regret it, for all the others are not entry level and you will be struggling with the concepts from the word go. IT is not easy, do not underestimate the complexity of this game.

Then consider CompTIAs Net+ - all the above applies but it will relate to networking hardware, software etc.

Once you have those under your belt, you will be in a far better position to understand what the various vendors ie Microsoft Cisco etc are offering - bare in mind that it is pointless going for say a Cisco CCNA or a Microsoft MCSA if you have no exposure to the products they are training you on. They are targeted at people that are using these pieces of kit on a daily basis, they are not a ticket to a high salary for the inexperienced - there is no such thing as a short cut to the top, you have to work you way up and whilst you are actively involved you should be combining certs with hands on experience - that is the key to the high salaries you see banded around, not a quick training course.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Most of the Microsoft, all of the Cisco, and most likely, the Juniper certifications are for mid-to-upper level techs... not entry-level techs. I certainly recommend that you get them... just not at this stage of your career. For now, I'd recommend you get the A+ and N+, get an IT job, build experience, and start pursuing other certifications.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!