A twisted state of affairs

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by wizard, Mar 13, 2007.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Just had to share this with you all. I have been off work today with a migraine and contemplating quitting my current temp assignment because I feel it is this that has been making me ill, being in front of a computer all day answering the telephone to snotty people and trying to do paperwork at the same time.

Now I go and check my bank balance and think to myself "oh bleep".

I've still got to quit the assignment because of my health. So when I ask for another assignment, there is going to be a period of zero income.

Who said life was fair? :x

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You're still coming to birmingham tho? right?

3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Yes you will still have the pleasure of my company :D

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Great. :dry

:tongue

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Will you be wearing your party shirt?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Mate, what are you going to be like when you are stuck in a comms room when every single WAN link is down and *you* are the only one that can fix it.

Are you going to go home with a migraine?

If you just don’t like the job then quit, if its stress that’s causing you to be off work then perhaps you might want to reconsider working in IT.

Don’t mean to be rude btw :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Once I get a lot of other crap in my life sorted I should be back to normal. :p

If it something I really enjoy doing then there will be no stress at all.

8. Sparky

Ahh, no probs mate. If you hate the job then its a different story.

Perhaps look for something that relates to the CCNA (or at least in IT) to keep you interested?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

That's my plan :wink:

10. Sparky

Start applying for jobs every single day and start putting your C.V about then! :tongue

11. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Hang in there mate - as it is always easier to get a new role if you still have one already!

I have been there done that as a helpdesk temp...it can get painful.

I would make it work for me on my terms if I was in your situation:

1. Grab an hour first up for your own study purposes, put the phone on DND, and say you are researching stuff...just be discrete.

2. Try an offload anything not related to your helpdesk job according to the "Wally principle" - any general accounts type paperwork is the province of full time staff anyway..these slackers should be doing their own work.

Basically "you are sitting at the desk waiting for the phone to ring so here is some paperwork for you to sift through..." - well that is just plain BS. I got out of that by not doing it all and saying [and proving] I was too busy.

3. You are a temp right? - employed for IT reasons as an IT professional...just be more assertive dude!

I told my account manager in the last helpdesk role I was in years back now if they want more they pay more, or give me more hours - simple !

supa

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that, I cannot put the phone on DND. I'm not on a IT helpdesk, if I were then I'd actually look forward to answering the phone. There are only 6 of us answering 100s of calls a day.

My way of thinking is, you cannot do paperwork and phone at the same time, you have to do one or the other, otherwise mistakes will be made. There have been plenty of mistakes made.

I cannot really say who my current assignment is with, as it is a bit of prickly issue.

13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Just off to the doctor now. Hopefully get to the bottom of this.

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Well an boring update for you all, it was a migraine I was suffering from.

I now have a 3 month job starting on Monday only 26 hours a week so I'll be going down the jobcentre to claim certain benefits.

It is phone work again back at Argos Direct, ringing customers up and booking deliveries.

Also I'm taking on Barclays and Natwest to claim back bank charges.

So once I have found the rest of My Barclays statements I'll be trawling through 6 years of statements to see how much they owe me, hopefully it will go some way to paying off my bank loan with Natwest. :D