A+ training materials/books?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Guvnor, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

You can't actually get past papers as the exam questions aren't published. A number of companies offer simulators that have similarities to the real exams. I recommend transcender, as they have very detailed explanations to their answers and also have a flash card system built in. They are expensive. I've found a site where you can get them cheaper but from what I can tell they are earlier editions of the simulators, so they may be lacking in certain areas.

I also read through the Mike Meyers book twice. It actually took me about a year to get my A+ as I was hit by glandular fever quite badly a couple months into studying. When I picked it back up I was studying about 3 or 4 hours a night for about 3-4 months. I was actually in a very similar situation to Jaron78. I didn't bother with school and therefore had never really studied for an exam before, and I really hit it hard to make sure I passed. It was worth it though.

Jaron78 and Guvnor like this.
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

@Jaron78 & @Pseudonym when reading the All in one book, did you take much notes or just read and use memory?

3. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Notes mate. I made written notes and I also put little index tabs in the pages so I knew I had to go back and read something.
    I usually read/watch the book/videos first, then go through them again and make notes.

4. Pseudonym

I made a ridiculous amount of notes. Because there is so much conceptual information though, I ended up virtually writing the book out word for word haha. I'm not entirely convinced taking notes really helped me with this. I did the same with Net+. I think it's best to give it a read through without taking notes, try to understand it all. Get a practice exam to get a feel of what kind of things you'll be expected to remember, and then go back and read it again taking notes. Otherwise you'll end up writing the whole thing out like I did.. well maybe. I've been trying hard to be more efficient at note taking and trying to improve my reading speed too.

Jaron78 likes this.
  5. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

Cheers mate transcander are good from what I've checked so far, plus they are also offering a full refund if you flop within the first 6 months. They are expensive but if they are so sure about their product and tests then I wouldn't mind making that investment, it's not like the exams are cheap for this anyway so might as well make the most of it.

Pseudonym and Jaron78 like this.
  6. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

The way I see it and having read others replies, if a person hasn't studied for a long time then naturally you will end up copying out the whole book as you will think everything is needed and relevant when it's not.

The way I see it, what Mike Meyers mentions in his vids are pretty much sufficient as to what you need to pass and meet the objectives of the syllabus, the rest is fluff and good to know that you can add on more from the book if you think it's necessary otherwise you're good mate.

7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

This is my problem in general when studying and sets me back, I endup writing the whole bookout!

Pseudonym likes this.
  8. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

Seems like there are other sims providers to choose from as well,

which one is better 'Transcander or Boson' ?

Both have a 6 month full refund policy, if you flop in that time then you can get your money back. Which one gives more vlaue for money ?

9. Pseudonym

I used boson for A+, and transcender for Net+/70-680. As I said, the transcender answer explanations are more detailed and the flash card app is very good. I prefer transcender and would definitely recommend them over boson.

Guvnor likes this.
  10. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

Cheers mate

11. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

The sims are quite pricey but im tempted

12. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

Study Tactics from Mike Meyers

13. Vince Polston

Vince Polston Nibble Poster

I'm writing fresh study guides on the new 900 series objectives. The site is passtheaplus.com - I only have a couple articles live now but am actively updating. I started this a while back during the 800 series and then took a break because of the new objectives being released. Now that the new 220-901 and 220-902 objectives have been released I'm going 100% on these :)

14. Jaron78

Looks good Vince. Took a quick look through and looks really good. Best of luck.

15. Jaron78

Anyone that uses an iPad / Kindle, take a look at One Note.

I have recently started using it and its great. Make notes on the PC at work / Home, make sure its Synched on the iPad before I leave, then read the notes on the way home or way to work.