A+ Study Advice Needed

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I began my studying for the A+ exams by reading the second edition of the Mike Meyers A+ Certification book which I got from my local library. I read the Hardware section of the book all the way through in about 12 days spending about 4 hours a day. After that bought the 5th edition of the book and don’t know how to start reading it.

Should I read it all the way through or should I just start reading each chapter and start taking down notes. As I already read the second editiion all the way through.

I tried reading a few chapters taking notes on the important topics, but found it hard to decide what I need to make note of.

As I read through the book and understood a concept or idea I wrote it down, so I wouldn’t forget. But I ended up taking pages of notes on one chapter can anyone give me some practical advice on how to study the individual chapters of the Mike Meyers book.

For example.

Chapter 3- Microprocessors -

I noted down all the Microprocessors Specs
    probably didn't need to do that at least not now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jose Vizcaino Jr.

P.S. Are there any other good forums or computer clubs that you would suggest joining for help in learning Pc Repair.

Thanks,

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. law123

law123 Byte Poster

HI Profesor you sound the same as me what do you take note of that is good question I have thought the same.
    :unsure

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ok, first things first. Do you have at least one PC available to you that you can open up and start tinkering with? You really can't completely learn the material unless you practice it.

Having said that, as I recall, Meyers suggests that you read the whole thing through the first time, as if you were reading a novel, and just get familiar with the book. Then go back and actually start studying each chapter. I believe there are some test questions after each chapter to help you determine how well you are learning. The questions will also (more or less) give you some idea of what you might need to know.

Try not to overwhelm yourself with the content. If you don't currently have a good grasp of the content, it can seem intimidating. Give yourself a break. You are not learning how to perform a heart-lung transplant. No one's life is at stake here. Relax.

The Meyers book is actually fun to read. He's got a nice, easy Texas style about his writing that makes it as easy as it's going to get to learn the A+ material. If you hit a snag and you can't figure it out, just post a query in this forum and we'll try to help you out. This is very learnable material. If I can pass the A+...so can you. :)

BTW, I love PC 911 for learning basic, hands-on computer work. Here's the link:

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

You will definately be tested on upgrade paths, system requirements for each O/S etc. I would also strongly recommend taking notes of IRQ and I/O addresses, dma channels and all the other exciting stuff. As for processors etc you are mainly tested on socket types ie: pentium 4 skt 423 pr 478, make sure you know which processor uses the SECC and also the AMD socket types.
    It is a big pool of questions so I would definately recommend reading the whole book again, you will be amazed how much you realise you missed the first time.
    :D

5. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Great advice Will do !
    I plan on taking the Harward exam first. Would it be ok to read only the Hardware portion first or should I really read all of the book first.

Thanks again,

Professor

WIP: Comptia Network +
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Different strokes, Professor. In other words, it just depends on what works for you. I took the Core and OS sections back to back, but that's only because I can't defer gratification. I think a lot of folks take each exam one at a time. Your choice.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Wow can it be true?

Has Professor-Falken, really been studying A+ since February 2005?

Seems like a long time - 2 years and still asking questions about the exam?

Don't mean to be sarcastic mate, but maybe it's time to bite the bullet and take the exam???:blink

All this worry over learning the exam questions in every paper??
    You should have a In-depth Knowledge about A+ by now.8)

WIP: Comptia N+
  8. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I was just thinking exactly the same :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL, hope he isn’t going for the MCSE after!

Seriously though, give the guy a break; I would guess this is his first cert so he is unsure about what to expect in the exam. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

chill people... the chap prob has some major changes during this time...

edit: just read Sparky's post... that too...

11. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

I agree I joined in april last year and I had been doing IT Essentials 1&2 and ccna at college in 03-04 I passed IT E and failed CCNA.
    I had a half priced voucher for A+ but I think I hit a block after failing CCNA that I have since struggled to concentrate and as my job as a driver I only have occasionaly helped my friends and famliy
    and most of the time I am to tired to read a book for about 1/2 hour at night. Also like everyone else have had add probs in my life . So as a late new year res I going to try and go for my A+ this year

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Network+
  12. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Hello,

I totally understand how difficult it can be to juggle everything with something new to study. I started the A+ with a full time job and two small kids to look after, it was pretty difficult but i managed it.

It seems to me that you have no direction when it comes to the actual test, so youre reading through the available books trying to cover every topic incase it turns up on the exam.

I would recommend getting through alot of practice questions now, take the Transcender practice questions. Keep doing these and you'll get a valuable knowledge of the exam and what kind of questions it will throw at you. All the exams have key 'areas' that will always arise - such as what's already been advised, IRQ's DMA, Motherboard Architecture etc..

You'll get a feel of whats needed, then you can focus on those topics. The A+ is just the beginning, if you progress then the topics will become more widespread and noticably more difficult.

Sorry if you've already done this - from what i've read it seems that this might help.

Carl :D

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Prof,

Excellent advice here. Good luck mate :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

He's got a case of Analysis Paralysis. If he doesn't go take the exam the first time, he'll never know what to expect in an exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Exactly my point!

Sparky & Cheeks:- I'm not having a dig at the guy, but from reading some of his threads over the months.

I can't help thinking that he is going to give himself a heart attack before he ever gets to the exam8)

WIP: Comptia N+
  16. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Same old question, over and over again... I just got p1ssed off with it. :rolleyes:

You'll find my less than diplomatic response to the last one if you can be bothered. I can't.

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  17. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA