A+ Question

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Inceptor, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Inceptor

Inceptor New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum & not sure where to ask this question, but this seemed like the right place.

Just yesterday I finished taking my second A+ Exam, the 1002. When I was taking the test I tired to write down a lot of the questions I wasn't sure I had the right answer to & wanted to follow up on afterward. I was hoping this is the place I could get this question answered, if not I would really appreciate being pointed in the direction of somewhere where I could get an answer.

I had to fill in the info about some computers & their networks. One piece of information I needed to get was the domain for them. How could I find their domains using the command prompt?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

https://www.windows-commandline.com/find-domain-name-command-line/

Also normally you will have a dnssuffix on the domain controller which indicates the domain, but this can be optional. This suffix gets rolled out to the computers that join the domain.

JK2447 likes this.
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Assume A+ is still multiple choice? Something like 'net config workstation' might have been an option.

Also try 'whoami' although that wont give the full domain name (no suffix)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    JK2447 likes this.
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Great suggestions from the lads. Loads of ways. Me I’d open a cmd prompt. Type ipconfig. See if a dns server was listed then ping -a that ip. Or nslookup the ip, or nbtstat -a ip, or type hostname. Hit enter. Then ping -a that. These should give you the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) eg desktop1.contoso.com

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Inceptor

Inceptor New Member

I'm back & I've got more questions. I hope this is the right place to ask them. This is another question on the test that hastily paraphrased:

If a group called Admin has a file with NTFS permissions of full control & modify, but a deny of write & modify, what is the Admin group allowed to do?

It think I'm missing groups in users in this questions, but if I'm not mistaken this means Admin should only be able to read the file correct? I've also got about a half a dozen other questions I would really like answers to if it's okay.

6. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

I would say yes, if you have full control/RWM across some directory tree, but then are denied W and M in one sub directory, then the resultant set in that dir is R only.

That's simplified permissions, but the context suggests that is what's intended.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  7. AdamGreen22

AdamGreen22 New Member

Thanks a lot for help!