A+ Question of the day

Discussion in 'A+' started by Boycie, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nice one Boyce and a great idea, I love QOTD/W, they always get me thinking.

Now, the only issue I have is with the hidden answers. Although I can understand why some might like them hidden and I know that is how it is done on our sister site, for me it prevents any discussion i.e. interactive participation from the posters. Throughout most of my studies for MCSE, I participated on a daily basis with the QOTDs on another site I used to frequent. It was those questions (everyone could see all the posters answers), that led to some of the best, most informative and interesting discussions I have ever participated in on the Internet. It used to be the same here too, the first correct answer was the winner simple as that. Because of the time zone thing, I seldom actually got to post the first reply but that didn't stop me from participating.

What do others think. should we hide the answers or not?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm a fan of hiding the answers because you really have to depend on your own understanding. When you can see how others answered, they tend to act as hints or spoilers. I think you can still engage in a healthy conversation after the answers have been revealed.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I agree with Trip.

Hiding the answers prevents others from being infulenced in their decision.

What we should try to do is provide further information as to how we reached our decision, without actually giving our answers away. Not sure how we do this tho!

8)

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

We could at least unhide the answers once the real answer has been given. There may be good gems of info in there hidden from view.

What is being missed is this type of scenario...

The first poster says it's A

The second poster reads the first posters answer and is not sure whether it is A, (and he really wants to have the first correct answer), so he does a bit of research and learns something which convinces him the answer is B

The third poster thinks it's A

So, the second poster could provide a link to the information he learnt that led him to believe it was B

The forth poster goes for B, because he can see there is uncertainty and inconsistency in the previous responses, he will read the previous posts and the links to make sure his answer is correct.

This is not happening when the answers are hidden :cry:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

i think it's a great idea to hide them personally, at least once you answer you can see what others put, but i agree that maybe we should explain the thinking behind the answer?

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

I am also in agreement that we should hide the answers
    to the questions, in my opinion. :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I agree also that we hide the answers, in order to keep the thought process going, but what about after the answer is posted, the Thread can then develop into a discussion about our reasoning for how we came to choose what we did, why the right answer is indeed right, and the thought processes or reasons behind this ?

That way, we get a properly stimulating question, then lively debate afterwards.

:)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity